The Student Room Group

I feel like there is something wrong with me socially and physically

Hi to anyone reading, I've been struggling with myself for a while now and especially since university began in regards to relationships, sex, attractiveness etc.

To sum it up I stick out like a sore thumb, I don't attract any guys and I feel pressured and I'm feeling like im going to be stuck single and a virgin.

I have a slightly different style to most people on my campus, and I've been told I stick out in crowds. I don't think I dress ridiculous but I have split dyed hair of blonde and brown and I personally feel like it's me even if I was mocked for it throughout the years for having it that way. I also feel insecure because for a while now I've noticed every girl is skinnier than me, im not huge but I am chubby.

Because of this I feel like men don't want to be around me, I've tried to go out clubbing but I don't drink much and aside from my flatmates I don't really go out clubbing with people.
Even when I did go out, I found that my flatmates always were the ones who pulled more boys and got more attention while I just felt like some muck next to them. When they have hookups with guys they only know by name I think it's crazy since I don't think a guy would glance at me twice let alone want to see me naked.

Furthermore about my flatmates, they harp on and on about their sex lives and relationships etc, and jokingly created a tally on sex and so on as well as to egg me on to just simply go out and have sex, but i can't. Yet I feel like I'm being put on display and practically being highlighted for not being able to pull a guy.

I just wish I had someone in my life I could feel loved with, even if it was for a moment, just be able to feel safe and vulnerable and also experience things my age. I'm sick of being the one friend surrounded by taken friends with them always saying "oh you're lucky you don't have to deal with boys etc." I just want someone to show an ounce of attraction to me, I feel like a disfigured thing.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi to anyone reading, I've been struggling with myself for a while now and especially since university began in regards to relationships, sex, attractiveness etc.

To sum it up I stick out like a sore thumb, I don't attract any guys and I feel pressured and I'm feeling like im going to be stuck single and a virgin.

I have a slightly different style to most people on my campus, and I've been told I stick out in crowds. I don't think I dress ridiculous but I have split dyed hair of blonde and brown and I personally feel like it's me even if I was mocked for it throughout the years for having it that way. I also feel insecure because for a while now I've noticed every girl is skinnier than me, im not huge but I am chubby.

Because of this I feel like men don't want to be around me, I've tried to go out clubbing but I don't drink much and aside from my flatmates I don't really go out clubbing with people.
Even when I did go out, I found that my flatmates always were the ones who pulled more boys and got more attention while I just felt like some muck next to them. When they have hookups with guys they only know by name I think it's crazy since I don't think a guy would glance at me twice let alone want to see me naked.

Furthermore about my flatmates, they harp on and on about their sex lives and relationships etc, and jokingly created a tally on sex and so on as well as to egg me on to just simply go out and have sex, but i can't. Yet I feel like I'm being put on display and practically being highlighted for not being able to pull a guy.

I just wish I had someone in my life I could feel loved with, even if it was for a moment, just be able to feel safe and vulnerable and also experience things my age. I'm sick of being the one friend surrounded by taken friends with them always saying "oh you're lucky you don't have to deal with boys etc." I just want someone to show an ounce of attraction to me, I feel like a disfigured thing.

hello!
to be honest, I am in a similar position to you. I am not pretty but not ugly, not fat but not thin, and am essentially the only one out of my friends who does not seem to attract male attention. I really do understand how painful it can seem to be, but you must understand the type of people that you hang out with and the type of person that you are.
from reading your account, and please to correct me if I'm mistaken, you are around SUPER outgoing people, who are really into the whole drinking, clubbing, and hookup scene. and this is not to shame them in any way, but society has become such a way that things like hookups have become completely normalised, but lets face it - it really isn't !
sex should be viewed as, and really truly is, a meaningful connection that you should only have with someone you actually feel comfortable with - not with just some random guy you meet at a bar. it involves you being at your most vulnerable, and you should not allow random people to be able to experience that with you. maybe you also aren't into the whole scene your flatmates are into, as you say you do not do this unless they do? and you know what, this is completely and totally fine!! everyone has their own personality, and not everyone will fit into a clubbing sort of atmosphere. therefore, you must also understand that if you do not really fit into this atmosphere, it is highly unlikely that you will find a potential partner at such a location too. as your friends are into the partying scene, they are bound to find someone like them who they could potentially see a future with, but if you feel that you are not finding anyone, it is not because there is something wrong with you; rather, you would appear as someone who is not like the typical crowd in those sorts of scenes, and there is truly nothing wrong with that. your person will not be waiting for you within the crowds your flatmates are in, but rather, somewhere else where you maybe feel more comfortable!
you may radiate a sort of confidence and certainty in yourself, perhaps, that guys that are into hookups can sense and see that they cannot use. hookups are meaningless and lack emotion and certainty, and are often a way of using people just for sex, as I said before, this is not the true purpose of sex. your aim is to find someone to truly find yourself with and feel safe with and believe me you will not find what you are looking for at places like these.
in my own experiences I do not receive much attention, especially in highly social atmospheres such as parties. I used to think as you do, as if there is something wrong with me, what I think you should begin to think is, maybe you're not in the right place?
I do hope this didn't seem like too much of a ramble - I normally read posts and forget about them, but your one really stuck out to me, considering that I have been through similar feelings that you are experiencing at present. please please please do not thing badly of yourself. had I been at your uni, I would have been completely in awe of you - I mean, split dyed hair?? I've been begging my mum for this for YEARS and she's not relented, which is very sad considering I'd love a hairstyle like Melanie Martinez or cruella, my two fave people ever.
to end with, do not feel pressured to have sex, and do not feel as if you are not good enough. I cant emphasise enough how casual a thing sex has become whereas it is genuinely something that you must choose to share with someone meaningful and truly deserving of you and your most vulnerable self. and just because you have not found someone in you proximity does not mean you are not good enough - it means that you are simply not in the right place!
I really hope this means something to you, and I hope that I can maybe hear from you again :smile:))
-much much love, a stranger over the internet <3333
Reply 2
Original post by emaanqur
hello!
to be honest, I am in a similar position to you. I am not pretty but not ugly, not fat but not thin, and am essentially the only one out of my friends who does not seem to attract male attention. I really do understand how painful it can seem to be, but you must understand the type of people that you hang out with and the type of person that you are.
from reading your account, and please to correct me if I'm mistaken, you are around SUPER outgoing people, who are really into the whole drinking, clubbing, and hookup scene. and this is not to shame them in any way, but society has become such a way that things like hookups have become completely normalised, but lets face it - it really isn't !
sex should be viewed as, and really truly is, a meaningful connection that you should only have with someone you actually feel comfortable with - not with just some random guy you meet at a bar. it involves you being at your most vulnerable, and you should not allow random people to be able to experience that with you. maybe you also aren't into the whole scene your flatmates are into, as you say you do not do this unless they do? and you know what, this is completely and totally fine!! everyone has their own personality, and not everyone will fit into a clubbing sort of atmosphere. therefore, you must also understand that if you do not really fit into this atmosphere, it is highly unlikely that you will find a potential partner at such a location too. as your friends are into the partying scene, they are bound to find someone like them who they could potentially see a future with, but if you feel that you are not finding anyone, it is not because there is something wrong with you; rather, you would appear as someone who is not like the typical crowd in those sorts of scenes, and there is truly nothing wrong with that. your person will not be waiting for you within the crowds your flatmates are in, but rather, somewhere else where you maybe feel more comfortable!
you may radiate a sort of confidence and certainty in yourself, perhaps, that guys that are into hookups can sense and see that they cannot use. hookups are meaningless and lack emotion and certainty, and are often a way of using people just for sex, as I said before, this is not the true purpose of sex. your aim is to find someone to truly find yourself with and feel safe with and believe me you will not find what you are looking for at places like these.
in my own experiences I do not receive much attention, especially in highly social atmospheres such as parties. I used to think as you do, as if there is something wrong with me, what I think you should begin to think is, maybe you're not in the right place?
I do hope this didn't seem like too much of a ramble - I normally read posts and forget about them, but your one really stuck out to me, considering that I have been through similar feelings that you are experiencing at present. please please please do not thing badly of yourself. had I been at your uni, I would have been completely in awe of you - I mean, split dyed hair?? I've been begging my mum for this for YEARS and she's not relented, which is very sad considering I'd love a hairstyle like Melanie Martinez or cruella, my two fave people ever.
to end with, do not feel pressured to have sex, and do not feel as if you are not good enough. I cant emphasise enough how casual a thing sex has become whereas it is genuinely something that you must choose to share with someone meaningful and truly deserving of you and your most vulnerable self. and just because you have not found someone in you proximity does not mean you are not good enough - it means that you are simply not in the right place!
I really hope this means something to you, and I hope that I can maybe hear from you again :smile:))
-much much love, a stranger over the internet <3333

this is honestly one of the most sweetest and genuine things i’ve read, thank you so much!! In a weird way it’s reassuring i’m not the only one who feels/felt this way because the way that hookup culture is in uni i genuinely feel out of place, but your comment has really made my perspective change and i think you’re fully right in everything especially with the topic of appearance because it’s almost being stuck in this middle. My uni is also very sporty much filled with people who looked like they would’ve screamed emo at me in secondary school.
Admittedly i’m trying to distance myself a little from my flatmates (not necessarily as a whole just when going out clubbing) to disassociate this weird expectation put on myself around them to try and be like them in how they regularly hook up.
Also split dyed hair is the best thing ever i get varying remarks about it from time to time but honestly one of the only things i’ve done to my appearance and i refuse to change because it’s the only thing about myself that i love, also 1000% discovering melanie martinez in year 7 influenced me lmaoo.
Thank you so much for the response though i genuinely am in awe back at you and it has helped my perspective on this into a more positive light. Lots of love back from a stranger on the internet haha <333

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending