The Student Room Group

I'm going to fail getting an industrial year university, what can i do?

everyone else in my year has so much more experience when i couldnt get any due to by resposibilities in my family throughout my life. its placement year now and i thought companies would teach things about the software i need to use (i want to do game development or game design) but they want the experience and i dont know what do to. im trying to learn the quickest i can but im too f-ing late. these people are so much smarter and better than me and im whining about it like a f-ing idiot whos started the race too late. i dodnt know about this. i thought it would be taught.
im done. i dont know what to do, its not the cliche that ive expected it all coming to me, i tried so f-ing hard. i did courses. im trying to now learn three different types pf software. but these people are ahead already, able to create apps and games. im so f-ing stupid i can only do coding in one language and have no idea how to do that i was never taught and now its too late. i wanted this so bad but im blocked from every corner, some sad kid that doesnt fit in but pretends to. im done, im actually done with everything i think. ive failed and lied to myself for so long that now everything is ugly. i really wanted this and am open to any last minute ditch efforts before i just drop out or sometjing. i dont belong here and never did, everyone else has had tutoring or much more work experience under their belt and though i sound like a todddler stamping their foot its not fair anymore. ive battled this my entore life and thought i had finally got there, finally f-king able to catch up and learn everything i wanted to, but apparently im not good enough and never was
i dont know what im expecting here. have a go at me or something, tell me im not trying hard enough, im too lazy and stop whining. im done with this i cant anymore, im such a failure. if anyone has advice thats great i guess, or tell me to gett off my ass. maybe im not trying hard enough.
sorry of this is illegible im running off high emotions right now, typing in the dark somewhere when i went to get some air. ill delete this soon probably, sorry everyone. i dont know exactly what i want, advice or something idk. im not reading over this
Original post by anonshhhhi
everyone else in my year has so much more experience when i couldnt get any due to by resposibilities in my family throughout my life. its placement year now and i thought companies would teach things about the software i need to use (i want to do game development or game design) but they want the experience and i dont know what do to. im trying to learn the quickest i can but im too f-ing late. these people are so much smarter and better than me and im whining about it like a f-ing idiot whos started the race too late. i dodnt know about this. i thought it would be taught.
im done. i dont know what to do, its not the cliche that ive expected it all coming to me, i tried so f-ing hard. i did courses. im trying to now learn three different types pf software. but these people are ahead already, able to create apps and games. im so f-ing stupid i can only do coding in one language and have no idea how to do that i was never taught and now its too late. i wanted this so bad but im blocked from every corner, some sad kid that doesnt fit in but pretends to. im done, im actually done with everything i think. ive failed and lied to myself for so long that now everything is ugly. i really wanted this and am open to any last minute ditch efforts before i just drop out or sometjing. i dont belong here and never did, everyone else has had tutoring or much more work experience under their belt and though i sound like a todddler stamping their foot its not fair anymore. ive battled this my entore life and thought i had finally got there, finally f-king able to catch up and learn everything i wanted to, but apparently im not good enough and never was
i dont know what im expecting here. have a go at me or something, tell me im not trying hard enough, im too lazy and stop whining. im done with this i cant anymore, im such a failure. if anyone has advice thats great i guess, or tell me to gett off my ass. maybe im not trying hard enough.
sorry of this is illegible im running off high emotions right now, typing in the dark somewhere when i went to get some air. ill delete this soon probably, sorry everyone. i dont know exactly what i want, advice or something idk. im not reading over this

What year are you in? Just starting second year, is my guess, so starting to think of lining-up a placement year for next year. Is that right? How did you do in you end-of-year exams? Were they OK or were you struggling a little there?

Generally speaking, employers won't teach you things. Perhaps in other industries, but not in IT. They expect you to (a) know it already, (b) learn it in your own time, or (c) pick it up whilst working.

What three software packages are you trying to learn right now? There may be people here on TSR who have knowledge of those specific packages, and can help.

You say, "everyone else has had tutoring or much more work experience under their belt". That's extremely unlikely. It's much more likely that they've simply had more time (unburdened by the "resposibilities in my family" which you face) to learn alongside their normal studies. Do you still have those family responsibilities? Or do you now actually have some time to dedicate to yourself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending