The Student Room Group

how do i choose what i want to do in life?

i'm about to choose my a-levels and obviously i need to know what i want to do as a career to choose my a-levels as i'm not exceptionally good at any subject and i don't love any one subject. how can i figure out what path to take in life (i have some ideas, but i need to decide and fast)
many thanks
Reply 1
Look at some of the career/job profiles on this careers site - Job profiles | Prospects.ac.uk
and at the degree subjects at this one Uni as just an example of the possibilities out there - Subject Areas | Undergraduate | Newcastle University (ncl.ac.uk)
Original post by bibarub
i'm about to choose my a-levels and obviously i need to know what i want to do as a career to choose my a-levels as i'm not exceptionally good at any subject and i don't love any one subject. how can i figure out what path to take in life (i have some ideas, but i need to decide and fast)
many thanks

I wouldn’t get too caught up about it. Of the three A levels I chose to study, I realised that I enjoyed only two of them.

I took one of the two A level subjects I did enjoy, to degree level. This wasn’t necessarily the right decision though, as throughout my second year I started educating myself about other industries. I guess my point is this: interests change as you grow up.

If you plan on uni, the good news is that a lot of employers offer graduate schemes. Many of these don’t require specific degree disciplines (most do have minimum grade requirements though). Failing this, you can always explore other industries through employment (especially around uni).

Try and choose a balance of A levels you think you have an interest in and maybe one you know you definitely enjoy. At least this way, if you end up like me realising you don’t want to take one further, you have subjects you do enjoy to keep you going.

Hopefully this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest