The Student Room Group

Help! MA in Documentary by practice

Hey guys, I need some advice! I am interested in taking a MA in Documentary Film-making. Similar programs are offered in 4 unversities: The London College of Communication, Goldsmiths University, Royal Holloway and Queen Mary's University. What do you think of those and what would you suggest me?
Reply 1
Original post by Sarino
Hey guys, I need some advice! I am interested in taking a MA in Documentary Film-making. Similar programs are offered in 4 unversities: The London College of Communication, Goldsmiths University, Royal Holloway and Queen Mary's University. What do you think of those and what would you suggest me?

Up, can anyone help?
Original post by Sarino

What is your experience with film making? Do you have a demo reel or portfolio and experience? Most of these courses require a portfolio and experience working in the industry to apply.

I personally would not recommend studying documentary filmmaking as a MA. I work in the industry myself and can say filmmaking is a very hard industry to break into. Almost impossible. And a Masters degree will not help you. 99% of people who do these courses are wasting their money on a piece of paper and a 'dream.'

I know people with degrees, masters, even someone with a PHD in filmmaking who cant get work, even in London. My friends with filmmaking MAs are unemployed.

So I wouldn't recommend any of those courses. Don't waste your money.
:bricks:

:tsr2:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Have you decided yet? I need to make the same decision in one day!
Choosing between Royal Holloway and Queen Mary, the same course, but can't tell the clear difference between the two from their websites.
Can somebody help?? Thanks!!!!!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Hey, I know this thread is eight years old but just for people who might go online for reviews on MA in documentary filmmaking in London, I can say that the Goldsmiths Screen Documentary MA is not very good. I did it a few years back and was very disappointed. It's not a nurturing place. Here are a few reasons why:

The main tutor does not care and is uninspiring. She is a filmmaker herself, which I thought was great when I joined but I think her personality is quite antagonising and you don't feel like she has your best interest at heart. She will identify very early on the person or persons who potentially could reflect well on the MA (ie people who have already material for their film or exceptional access to subjects she knows will do well in festivals or broadcast or have access to professional editors etc) and will help them more than the other students. I have also heard other students say they felt intimidated by her, which is really unfortunate and problematic on so many levels. Directing your own film is a very vulnerable time for any creative, you don't want to feel like your teaching staff doesn't care because if you do, you won't ask for help when you need it. Your tutor should support you in every way possible, and the best way to do that is to make themselves approachable and genuinely trying to work out with you what's your vision, what you can achieve in the time that you have, but mostly instil self belief and confidence. The tutor categorically failed on that one.

The curriculum is not up to much. There are some great speakers who come (and that's the only good thing about this MA) but the main problem is the lack of inspiring teachers. To start with, the MA lasts only one academic year, which can seem great as it is cheaper but it actually is far too short to really go at any depth. It could maybe work if there were more courses and hours of teaching per week, but it isn't the case. During my time, there were only three core teachers: The tutor, who was mostly absent and too busy doing other things (teaching undergraduates, her PHD and taking the whole last term off on sabbatical to finish it!!, while also making her own films) so helping us felt a bit like an after thought. Then for the first term only, there were two technical teachers who taught cameras and microphones (none that were used by most production companies at the time, maybe this has changed, but not very helpful in terms of learning useful skills when it comes to getting jobs) and how to use avid media composer. And that was it. Not only that but what they actually taught us was a bit basic. For example, and that's just one example, they don't teach you how to edit. And I don't mean learning a software, I mean the art of editing, of crafting a story out of hours of footage. Another example of a poor curriculum was the lack of a dedicated course and serious analysis of notable director's work considered within an historical framework. We did have to pick a film we liked and make a presentation of it in front of the class, but the tutor herself didn't really come up afterwards with her own analysis of the film, pupils sometimes had not watch the film ahead because the films weren't picked from a list established by the teacher for a particular reason, so you could not debate and add to the analysis presented to you.

The course was also rather disappointing when it came to preparing students for what comes after and trying to be a bridge with the industry. For example they didn't match you individually with an industry mentor during the making of your end of year film, as do other MA, nor do they help you get some kind of experience in the TV or film industry afterwards, as a runner or researcher (for those student who would like to go that path) or help you work out what is the next step for you. It should be an absolute must. This is an MA with a dozen students chosen out of probably hundreds of applications, surely the staff should care a bit more. During my time there, two students could not finish their film and failed their MA (or maybe had to retake the year later) for reasons I believe were completely avoidable if the staff had cared to make sure students kept on top of their projects (especially in the edit phase). Other students had really rich, fascinating stories for their end of year film but the end result was technically very poor, which shouldn't have been the case had the staff made sure the student were up to scratch technically to go self shoot, sometimes abroad, and come back with decent enough footage. It was such a let down.

For the longest time I thought it was just me, that I had too high standards, or that I didn't fit and that maybe documentary was not for me. It dented my confidence quite a bit actually. But after having spoken to other alums I realised many had the same experience and felt the teaching had been substandard, only it was quite hard to voice it as the tutor is a director herself and regarded somewhat in the industry and obviously nobody fresh out of university wants to alienate their chances in the industry by criticising her and her teaching. I don't know why this MA gets a tick from Screen Skills, it doesn't deserve it. Try the NFTS, I had good feedback from other students I met who did their MA there.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Sarino

Hi! did you studied the course? Could you tell me how was your experience? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending