The Student Room Group

Stupid PhD question

I've just been accepted onto a PhD but haven't heard about funding -- does this mean I didn't get it, or will I find out later, or do I have to accept the offer first? (The application said I'd automatically be considered for funding and my supervisor thought I'd stand a good chance but I know most people don't get it.) I'm sure I should know how it all works but I've found it so difficult to get a straight answer on anything to do with the application process, it all seems so shrouded in mystery!
Reply 1
It might depend on which subject area you're in. I know in Arts and Humanities subjects, the applications for the actual PhD place and the funding are separate - you apply for your place through the university, and for your funding through the separate funding consortium (and find out about this around April/May time). I'd suggest asking your potential supervisor if you're unsure.
Reply 2
Original post by oswalds
It might depend on which subject area you're in. I know in Arts and Humanities subjects, the applications for the actual PhD place and the funding are separate - you apply for your place through the university, and for your funding through the separate funding consortium (and find out about this around April/May time). I'd suggest asking your potential supervisor if you're unsure.

Thank you, yes it is an arts subject. I guess because the application said I didn't need to do anything and would automatically be considered for funding, I thought it might come with the offer but it makes sense that it likely hasn't been decided yet. Will have to follow up!
Reply 3
Original post by danziger79
Thank you, yes it is an arts subject. I guess because the application said I didn't need to do anything and would automatically be considered for funding, I thought it might come with the offer but it makes sense that it likely hasn't been decided yet. Will have to follow up!

I would double-check with your supervisor, but the funding that you are automatically considered for may be that which comes through the university. I'd suggest looking to see whether that university that you're applying for is part of an Arts and Humanities Research Council consortium, as typically you need to apply for these separately and these are where a lot of people get their funding. The deadlines for these are coming up in the next few weeks.
Reply 4
Original post by oswalds
I would double-check with your supervisor, but the funding that you are automatically considered for may be that which comes through the university. I'd suggest looking to see whether that university that you're applying for is part of an Arts and Humanities Research Council consortium, as typically you need to apply for these separately and these are where a lot of people get their funding. The deadlines for these are coming up in the next few weeks.

Yes, I'm confused about that and panicking tbh as I believe the deadline is in a couple of days! But you can't apply to them directly or without a place and I only got the place today... I really thought there would be more guidance with this. Will have to follow up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending