The Student Room Group

Scoliosis and A-Levels

I have scoliosis and I've had it since Year 8. Recently, I have experienced pain and I hope it doesn't get worse because pain from scoliosis is a sign to get surgery. I'm only in Year 12 so I've still got a long time till I finish A-Levels. If my pain gets worse, I will have no choice but to have surgery. The surgery is long and recovery is long (1 year), what do I do? My A-Level studies will be disrupted and I have aspirations of going to Cambridge. How can I recover whilst not fall behind?
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have scoliosis and I've had it since Year 8. Recently, I have experienced pain and I hope it doesn't get worse because pain from scoliosis is a sign to get surgery. I'm only in Year 12 so I've still got a long time till I finish A-Levels. If my pain gets worse, I will have no choice but to have surgery. The surgery is long and recovery is long (1 year), what do I do? My A-Level studies will be disrupted and I have aspirations of going to Cambridge. How can I recover whilst not fall behind?

I think it's probably best to contact a GP or speak to your parents/guardians about this ASAP. I don't know tonnes about scoliosis, however I would guess that treating issues quickly is best, and probably your best chance of avoiding needing surgery. When you say recovery takes a year, to what extent are you unable to do things for that year? Would you be able to slowly go back to studying, even if from home during that year? If so, and you were able to complete A-Levels next year, perhaps after a gap year to do some bits for your personal statement or whatever you could apply to Cambridge? Cambridge does take into account extenuating circumstances, so if you had to do A-Levels late/didn't do so well, maybe they'd still consider it given the circumstances...

Quick Reply

Latest