The Student Room Group

What to wear for office job

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what am I supposed to wear in an office job? I’ve got an internship coming up and they’ve said smart casual…. that could literally mean anything!! I’ve got a few quite colourful shirts and other vintage stuff (I really love 70s clothes), but idk if I should tone it down for an office and just stick with blacks, whites, beiges. I’m overthinking this but just don’t want to look stupid on my first day lmao
Original post by rycbar.123
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what am I supposed to wear in an office job? I’ve got an internship coming up and they’ve said smart casual…. that could literally mean anything!! I’ve got a few quite colourful shirts and other vintage stuff (I really love 70s clothes), but idk if I should tone it down for an office and just stick with blacks, whites, beiges. I’m overthinking this but just don’t want to look stupid on my first day lmao

Id wear black trousers and a decent/smart ish looking top. And black shoes of some description. At least to start with anyway.
Then you can see what the others there are wearing.
Reply 2
The definition of smart casual has lost all meaning in recent years. I’ve worked in places that except you to be in shirt and tie at all times but currently work in an office where I can wear my gym gear unless I’m meeting a client.

However, I’d stick with something relatively formal and conservative on your first day. Either look at what others are wearing or ask the person responsible for onboarding (they’ll be use to these questions) and take it from there.
Reply 3
It's a great question but as previous answers have indicated, it's good to start off with something smart and neutral. Some places have dress-down Fridays, where you might be able to get away with your favourite colourful outfits - some companies are happy for one or two people to dress slightly differently as it cheers everyone up! On the other hand, until you have been there for a while, I wouldn't be too outrageous. If you go over the top, people might notice your clothes, rather than you. For an intern, you might prefer to impress with your skills, rather than your outfit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending