The Student Room Group

What should I wear for a job assessment?

So I applied for a role of a graduate tax trainee role and I've gotten through to the first of three rounds which is a written exam at their office. They've given no information about the dress code, so I was wondering what I should wear. I've had exams and assessments for jobs before, but all of them had been online and the only in-person exam I've had they told me to come in casual wear.
Original post by RossM7
So I applied for a role of a graduate tax trainee role and I've gotten through to the first of three rounds which is a written exam at their office. They've given no information about the dress code, so I was wondering what I should wear. I've had exams and assessments for jobs before, but all of them had been online and the only in-person exam I've had they told me to come in casual wear.

Hi @RossM7,

Congratulations on securing your job assessment!

Job assessments are typically the employers' most memorable impression of you as they get to see your personality and character beyond written text and your qualifications. First impressions for formal occasions matter a lot. In general, applicants are expected to wear smart casual, there's a lot of inspiration you can gather online that best caters to your wardrobe. Even if you believe the company's dress code to be rather casual, there is no harm in looking professional. It's safer to appear smart than underwhelming.

Hope this helps,
Danish
BCU Student Rep
Reply 2
Minimum smart casual with a jacket. Don’t think a suit and tie would go a miss, even though it’s increasingly uncommon attire, those wanting to make a formal impression still opt for it. You could experiment with scruffy jeans, if think you’ll ace the assessment!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending