The Student Room Group

BSc Hons Psychology, or BSc Hons Psychology with Counselling

I am in Wales and hoping to study one of the above subjects with the Open University, but am unsure which. Does anybody know the main differences between the two subjects and the job opportunities that could arise from each? Thank you!
BSc Psychology will cover all the main bits of Psychology, Psychology with counselling will also cover all the main bits of Psychology but should somewhat focus on the counselling bit. Both degrees are BPS accredited at the Open University so they should have the same job prospects. If you're unsure of what you want to do after you finish your degree, I'd go with the Psychology degree, since it will be more "generalist" and should cover a little more of everything. If you're pretty sure you want to be a counsellor, I'd go with the Psychology with Counselling, although I'd note that a Psychology with Counselling degree doesn't automatically entitle you to become a counsellor and you'll be expected to do training and education after you finish your degree, and that you don't need a degree to become a counsellor, and can instead go into other types of education and training to become a counsellor, which I think would be less time consuming, cheaper and simpler than doing a university degree, so something to research and consider!
Reply 2
Original post by lorenthomas
I am in Wales and hoping to study one of the above subjects with the Open University, but am unsure which. Does anybody know the main differences between the two subjects and the job opportunities that could arise from each? Thank you!

I did the BSc Psychology with Counselling with the OU. There was one module on counselling, which I really liked (it was a small module too, only 30 credits). There was also a module on counselling in forensic settings, though I think this was an optional one and there was another choice you could pick. Keep in mind I did this several years ago, so it may have changed.

The focus was still heavily on the psychology side, as it needs to be for BPS accreditation. I chose the counselling one as I was interested in this field. I've since gone on to train as a counsellor and CBT therapist.

Quick Reply

Latest