The Student Room Group

Should I get rid of my phone?

I just think social media and not even social media I mean chat apps like WhatsApp just drive mt anxiety and overthinking crazy. I always overthink peoples texts, I always see people nicely dressed on insta and think I must have those clothes’ and proceed to spending 100s just cos of other people’s fashion!

Don’t get me wrong I’ve always liked good quality stuff but instagram and Facebook just drive me insane and always make me want more.

I think I would be happf if I threw away mt iPhone and just got a basic cheap phone purely to text and call people in emergencies!

But people will think I’m a freak! Also I do really like my phone for pictures but just having the phone will tempt me to re-download all the apps!
get red of it for sure bro
Original post by Anonymous
I just think social media and not even social media I mean chat apps like WhatsApp just drive mt anxiety and overthinking crazy. I always overthink peoples texts, I always see people nicely dressed on insta and think I must have those clothes’ and proceed to spending 100s just cos of other people’s fashion!

Don’t get me wrong I’ve always liked good quality stuff but instagram and Facebook just drive me insane and always make me want more.

I think I would be happf if I threw away mt iPhone and just got a basic cheap phone purely to text and call people in emergencies!

But people will think I’m a freak! Also I do really like my phone for pictures but just having the phone will tempt me to re-download all the apps!

I reckon if this was 10-15 years ago, you'd have probably got away with it... however, nowadays many people, businesses etc. assume you have a smart phone. Therefore you may need to get an app to do some simple things (in some places, you can't even pay for parking without using an app). Also, you never know when you're going to need something like Google maps (or alternative equivalent) to find some obscure locations. You may also find out you're missing out on socials etc. as they seem to be the medium of choice when arranging or organising an event of some description.

As a compromise, couldn't you just turn off the notifications from SM accounts (probably save a fortune at the same time), or have your phone set to "Do Not Disturb" or physically turn your phone off at certain times?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

You do know you can still use a smartphone and use the feature called 'Uninstall' on the apps, right?
Or disable your accounts so if you are tempted to re-install the apps, you won't be able to log in.
Reply 4
I think you’re right - mt work have a WhatsApp group and everyone uses it to call in sick but even then I’m anxious cos I worry about that they thing when I message! I suppose i can e-mail instead. I guess I can just delete all social media and keep iMessage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending