The Student Room Group

is this weird?

i’m in 2 uni society whatsapp group chats and there’s this guy who is active in the same 2 group chats. he has basically the exact same humour as me and i feel like i match his ‘vibe’ (a VERY cringey thing to say i know), however neither of the societies have had any socials yet and i would like to potentially try and become friends with him.

so my question is would it be weird to message him privately on whatsapp and say something along the lines of ‘hey i saw we were in the same society group chats’ and go from there before societies start or just forget about it? (i think it’ll also be hard to pick out one person in a social of 40+ people based off solely their whatsapp profile picture…). sorry if this question sounds stupid but i just asked some of my flatmates and they seem divided on what i should do so i need some help 😭😭
I think that the ‘hey i saw we were in the same society group chats’ approach is a good one. It's non-committal, open-ended, no expectations etc.
It's like a door-opener.
See if he wants to come & play !
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous
i’m in 2 uni society whatsapp group chats and there’s this guy who is active in the same 2 group chats. he has basically the exact same humour as me and i feel like i match his ‘vibe’ (a VERY cringey thing to say i know), however neither of the societies have had any socials yet and i would like to potentially try and become friends with him.

so my question is would it be weird to message him privately on whatsapp and say something along the lines of ‘hey i saw we were in the same society group chats’ and go from there before societies start or just forget about it? (i think it’ll also be hard to pick out one person in a social of 40+ people based off solely their whatsapp profile picture…). sorry if this question sounds stupid but i just asked some of my flatmates and they seem divided on what i should do so i need some help 😭😭

Anon,

It might be an idea to try and suggest a social on the WhatsApp group and to see if people are interested. It could be as simple as going to watch one of the big rugby or cricket matches or going bowling. It then gives you the opportunity to meet a few people from the WhatsApp group and (hopefully the person you want to meet) in a group setting. It means that you if you do meet and get on really well then that's great, but if you don't then there's other people you can talk to. It also a more relaxed way of getting to know someone.

A private WhatsApp message from a stranger in a society chat might feel slightly uncomfortable. I think if they had at least met you it would feel less strange, but even then I would wait until they messaged you or until you had chatted or hung out a few times.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending