The Student Room Group

is someone able to calculate my ucas points please?

so I've officially completed my course, which is called Health and social care btec extended diploma.
i was wondering if anyone here is able to add up my points, please.
uni 1 - pass
unit 10 - merit
unit 11 - a distinction
unit 12 - a distinction
unit 19 - a distinction
unit 2 - pass
unit 3 - pass
unit 4 - near pass
unit 5 - merit
unit 6 merit
unit 7 - a distinction
unit 8 - pass
unit 9 - merit
Original post by mylifeasci
so I've officially completed my course, which is called Health and social care btec extended diploma.
uni 1 - pass
unit 10 - merit
unit 11 - a distinction
unit 12 - a distinction
unit 19 - a distinction
unit 2 - pass
unit 3 - pass
unit 4 - near pass
unit 5 - merit
unit 6 merit
unit 7 - a distinction
unit 8 - pass
unit 9 - merit

I have calculated this for you using the Pearson specification and UCAS tariff calculator. I have included the links below so that you can double check.
Given the grades you have, this works out at 167 BTEC points which is an overall MMM (Pages 5, 272 and 273 of the spec refers). https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/BTEC-Nationals/Health-and-Social-Care/2016/specification-and-sample-assessments/9781446950944-btec-nat-extdip-hsc-spec-iss10-150622.pdf

This gives you 96 UCAS points; https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator
uni 1 - pass
unit 10 - merit
unit 11 - a distinction
unit 12 - a distinction
unit 19 - a distinction
unit 2 - pass
unit 3 - pass
unit 4 - near pass
unit 5 - merit
unit 6 merit
unit 7 - a distinction
unit 8 - pass
unit 9 - merit

Units 1, 2, 3 and 4 were external exams. Do you know the mark you obtained for each, and when you took each of them? This is important because for external exams you get awarded unit points (not to be confused with UCAS Tariff points) based on the mark you obtained and the grade boundaries in effect - not just based upon the unit grade. So, for example, if the pass you obtained in Unit 1 was almost a merit, you'd receive more points that if you just scraped a pass.

The two illustrations below show the minimum and maximum overall grade you'll have received the the whole BTEC - i.e. either MMM or DMM. You will notice that in both illustrations the Unit Grades (far right) are the same; they show a different overall grade due to the different number of unit points associated with each external exam. (Hence why I asked the question above.)

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Health and Social Care - mylifeasci - MMM.JPG

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Health and Social Care - mylifeasci - DMM.JPG

MMM is worth 96 UCAS Tariff points. DMM is worth 112 UCAS Tariff points.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Units 1, 2, 3 and 4 were external exams. Do you know the mark you obtained for each, and when you took each of them? This is important because for external exams you get awarded unit points (not to be confused with UCAS Tariff points) based on the mark you obtained and the grade boundaries in effect - not just based upon the unit grade. So, for example, if the pass you obtained in Unit 1 was almost a merit, you'd receive more points that if you just scraped a pass.

The two illustrations below show the minimum and maximum overall grade you'll have received the the whole BTEC - i.e. either MMM or DMM. You will notice that in both illustrations the Unit Grades (far right) are the same; they show a different overall grade due to the different number of unit points associated with each external exam. (Hence why I asked the question above.)

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Health and Social Care - mylifeasci - MMM.JPG

BTEC Nationals Extended Diploma - Health and Social Care - mylifeasci - DMM.JPG

MMM is worth 96 UCAS Tariff points. DMM is worth 112 UCAS Tariff points.

Thank you for your help. To be honest I do not know how many marks I got in my unit 4 (near pass). I did my own calculations and it appeared to say I would get a DMM. The uni I want to go to is looking for a DMM, at the same time I applied to a nursing course and I don't know if there would be any in clearing.
Thank you for your help. To be honest I do not know how many marks I got in my unit 4 (near pass). I did my own calculations and it appeared to say I would get a DMM. The uni I want to go to is looking for a DMM, at the same time I applied to a nursing course and I don't know if there would be any in clearing.

If you don't know how many marks you got for Unit 4, I assume you also don't know how many marks you got for Unit 1, Unit 2 or Unit 3? These are equally subject to the fact that, as I stated above, "for external exams you get awarded unit points (not to be confused with UCAS Tariff points) based on the mark you obtained and the grade boundaries in effect - not just based upon the unit grade."

If you've calculated that you've obtained DMM (i.e. 112 UCAS points), and that's what the uni you want to go for it looking for, then you're sorted! :smile:

I don't understand your reference to Clearing. Are you saying that you haven't actually applied to university yet, and you're hoping to apply via Clearing only? Or are you saying that you have a conditional offer of DMM and you're thinking about Clearing in case you actually only get MMM?
Reply 5
Original post by DataVenia
If you don't know how many marks you got for Unit 4, I assume you also don't know how many marks you got for Unit 1, Unit 2 or Unit 3? These are equally subject to the fact that, as I stated above, "for external exams you get awarded unit points (not to be confused with UCAS Tariff points) based on the mark you obtained and the grade boundaries in effect - not just based upon the unit grade."

If you've calculated that you've obtained DMM (i.e. 112 UCAS points), and that's what the uni you want to go for it looking for, then you're sorted! :smile:

I don't understand your reference to Clearing. Are you saying that you haven't actually applied to university yet, and you're hoping to apply via Clearing only? Or are you saying that you have a conditional offer of DMM and you're thinking about Clearing in case you actually only get MMM?

Yup I don’t know the marks for unit 1, 2 and 3 unfortunately.
In regards to clearing, yes I do have a conditional offer and if I end up getting a MMM I would need to consider clearing.
Thanks for your help 😊
(edited 10 months ago)
In regards to clearing, yes I do have a conditional offer and if I end up getting a MMM I would need to consider clearing.
Thanks for your help 😊

Your teacher or Exams officer should be able to tell you how many points you got for each exam unit.
Reply 7
Original post by bamtutor
Your teacher or Exams officer should be able to tell you how many points you got for each exam unit.

They didn’t unfortunately.
Thanks for your help 😊

If your firm choice is asking for DMM and you get MMM then there’s a very good chance that they will still accept you with the lower grades.

Most universities will accept applicants with 1 or 2 grades lower than their offer. Many will accept even lower.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending