The Student Room Group

Which Universities offer degree customisation?

I have been looking to apply to uni and do Psychology with Music, because this combination is quite unorthodox I have been looking for universities that allow for me to add a minor to my subjject in any field or allow for some form of customisation that would allow me to take this combination. I am aware southampton offers something like this but I was wondering if anyone knows any other universities that do something like this?
Reply 1
Original post by Bese
I have been looking to apply to uni and do Psychology with Music, because this combination is quite unorthodox I have been looking for universities that allow for me to add a minor to my subjject in any field or allow for some form of customisation that would allow me to take this combination. I am aware southampton offers something like this but I was wondering if anyone knows any other universities that do something like this?

Hi! I have no idea for the subjects you’re interested in but I’m aware of some Universities that offer a lot of flexibility. like Exeter’s flexible honours program. Maybe Check it out to see if there’s what you’re looking for….
Reply 2
Original post by Lys-K
Hi! I have no idea for the subjects you’re interested in but I’m aware of some Universities that offer a lot of flexibility. like Exeter’s flexible honours program. Maybe Check it out to see if there’s what you’re looking for….

I don't think Exeter offers Music now.
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
I don't think Exeter offers Music now.

Then I don’t think I can provide any more information as I don’t know the English system very well….
I mean there may be scope to pick up optional modules outside your main area on many degrees at many unis, but there may not necessarily be a formal programme to have that recognised on your transcript (as at Southampton) other than them modules being listed. Equally though that's not really that important in the grand scheme and if you were still taking the modules you'd have that experience. That said, you may find there are limits on non-music students taking music modules due to the nature of the modules and teaching and need to prioritise the music degree students first.

You might want to think about what it is you want to do after the degree, and what you're hoping to get out of each of the subjects. This might drive you more towards one or the other. For example, if you want to be a professional psychologist, you really have to aim for a BPS accredited psychology course. If you want to just continue playing your musical instrument while at uni then this is also absolutely possible to do from any degree programme without taking any specific modules through various societies and just arranging lessons and such yourself. If you wanted to become a professional composer or something then that may (?) lean you towards a music degree. Equally if your interest in psychology is just more generally interested in learning about human behaviour then you probably don't need to do a full degree in the field to pick up some background knowledge in that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending