The Student Room Group

How much cash to prepare for trip

I was wondering how much money (a rough estimate) I should take for my interview/trip to Cambridge (Girton college)? I will be departing from Poland on December 10th in the morning and returning on the 12th in the late evening. I'll be flying to Luton - how much should I have ready for bus fares, taxi's, food (I'll have 3 meals provided free of charge), maybe a drink to loosen up, possibly some souvenir. Any advice would be really appreciated, it's been a very long time since I was last in England. Thanks a lot in advance! :yep:
Reply 1
A rather generous estimate (given that it's infinitely better to have too much than not enough) is about £60. Might wanna get a second opinion on that, though. And by 'might' I mean 'definitely'.

I wouldn't recommend having a drink to 'loosen up' though... unless you don't mean immediately before the interview!
Reply 2
Adje
A rather generous estimate (given that it's infinitely better to have too much than not enough) is about £60. Might wanna get a second opinion on that, though. And by 'might' I mean 'definitely'.

I wouldn't recommend having a drink to 'loosen up' though... unless you don't mean immediately before the interview!

No, of course not! Wouldn't want to make a rather doubtful first impression. :wink: I meant afterwards, of course. :biggrin:
Reply 3
If you go to www.nationalexpress.co.uk you can find out the cost of bus tickets, which will help with your estimations. Taxi from the town centre to Girton could be around £10 but I've never tried it so don't know for sure. As for food, it depends if you'll be buying from the supermarket or eating in restaurants. If you buy stuff from a supermarket, £10 will be more than enough for whatever meals you don't get provided.
Reply 4
Helenia
If you go to www.nationalexpress.co.uk you can find out the cost of bus tickets, which will help with your estimations. Taxi from the town centre to Girton could be around £10 but I've never tried it so don't know for sure. As for food, it depends if you'll be buying from the supermarket or eating in restaurants. If you buy stuff from a supermarket, £10 will be more than enough for whatever meals you don't get provided.

Very helpful, thanks. :smile:
Reply 5
Yup, taxi from town center to Girton is £10, or you could take the bus from the center of town (between £1.50 and £2, very straightforward), £5 for a drink or two (£3 will get you a nice drink at Starbucks or something basic in a pub/college bar I'd say), souvenirs I can't tell you but not dirt cheap, and a meal (main + drink) at a restaurant in town (the usual chains anyway) will be about £10 - £13.

Good luck with your interview! Your post reminds me of my interview, I flew from Germany to Stansted and had never been to Cambridge before, I was amazed by the town and how pretty Girton is :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending