The Student Room Group

Can i beg a university?

I’m first year (took a gap year) at a University, but I was torn between this one and the uni in the city near my hometown. It turns out i literally hate this uni (nothing against it itself, just very small and cliquey and so far from home and not really for me), also graded much lower than home Uni which I should’ve firmed and i think i knew deep down that i suited home Uni much better, but i was enticed by the gorgeous accommodation at current Uni, and the romanised idea that moving far away is “adventurous” and an amazing experience (waste of time).
I’ve tried to regain my place at home Uni through clearing, and i’d even found a replacement tenant for my accommodation at current Uni, but i got the email back saying home Uni was no longer accepting clearing applications, however it would be possible to transfer there into 2nd year. I don’t think i can bear to spend a year waiting like this, so when i’m home on reading week i was thinking of going into home Uni and in simple terms begging them to consider my odd circumstance and let me enroll/swap (as ridiculous as that seems). Is this a complete waste of time or do you think some Universities would consider it? (Have all the required grades) : )
(Extending) it’s such a horrible feeling knowing that a couple months ago or even a few weeks ago i could’ve enrolled at home Uni, and now i have to spend a year here being pretty much miserable. It’s- a whole year of my life and I’m almost 20 so wont be getting any younger. I feel such a rejected vibe from people here when all i ever did was smile or be genuinely nice, even with the cheer society i joined. It’s really not the place for me at all. I even got treated like a child by a lecturer when she literally took a chair to a table to insist that i did group work with the people there. Literally 95% of people i know stayed close for uni and i feel like I’ve made the worst decision
. I haven’t been on a night out since freshers as it’s just not the vibe and i feel mentally about 10 years older than everyone here, I’ve spent my night crying whilst looking at pictures of the city my home uni is in - that is how ridiculous it is. I really wish i had listened to my gut. I miss everything from around home so much and I’m rapidly loosing interest with any of it here. Has anyone been in a similar situation or has some kind of cheat route i can take
It would be a complete waste of time.
Original post by unsweetenedblue
I’m first year (took a gap year) at a University, but I was torn between this one and the uni in the city near my hometown. It turns out i literally hate this uni (nothing against it itself, just very small and cliquey and so far from home and not really for me), also graded much lower than home Uni which I should’ve firmed and i think i knew deep down that i suited home Uni much better, but i was enticed by the gorgeous accommodation at current Uni, and the romanised idea that moving far away is “adventurous” and an amazing experience (waste of time).
I’ve tried to regain my place at home Uni through clearing, and i’d even found a replacement tenant for my accommodation at current Uni, but i got the email back saying home Uni was no longer accepting clearing applications, however it would be possible to transfer there into 2nd year. I don’t think i can bear to spend a year waiting like this, so when i’m home on reading week i was thinking of going into home Uni and in simple terms begging them to consider my odd circumstance and let me enroll/swap (as ridiculous as that seems). Is this a complete waste of time or do you think some Universities would consider it? (Have all the required grades) : )

@unsweetenedblue

Would you be going to study the same course?

I think if you hadn't taken the chance to live away from home and to be more independent then you might have regretted it. At the moment, it sounds like you are just struggling to adjust and that's making everything about the university at home look infinitely better! I think that even if you were to move to that uni, there would inevitably be things that you would miss about your current uni.

As your home university has said you that would only be able to transfer into second year, I think you need to make the best of your situation. You need to focus on getting good grades for your first year!

20 is not old and no is getting any younger! People make a place and when you are surrounded by really positive and encouraging people it's great– it changes everything! I am sorry that you have met some pretty rude, cold, or immature people. It doesn't mean that everyone at your university is like that, you might just have to find new ways of meeting people: attending some different university events, trying some new societies or working with different people on your course.

Remember that if you're putting out negative body language then people will not be drawn to you and will likely leave you be. If you are constantly complaining about the uni or area then people might get pretty bored with you running down their course, home area or university. (Some people like it there.)

95% of the people you know stayed at home. You've been brave and courageous. Most probably a lot of people respect that about you and your willingness to try new things.

There are bound to be some positives about your current university and area. Try and focus on those things and make the most of them. Instead of staring at photos of your home city, go and make new memories in the new place that you live.

It takes courage to go to a new place, but it also takes courage to make the best of a new place even when it's different from home. Of course, you don't have to complete the full degree at your current university, but at present it sounds like you have to at least spend the year there, so do try to make the most of it, rather than feeling sorry for yourself!

Be brave.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending