The Student Room Group

A level sociology vs a a level geography

I’m so torn about which one to take I’m good
at geography and got a grade 9 at gcse but I really love sociology and the topic and concepts involved with it.

If you have done any of these a levels can you please give me some advice? Thank you
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AlannahK09
I’m so torn about which one to take I’m old at geography and got a grade 9 at gcse but I really love sociology and the topic and concepts involved with it.

If you have done any of these a levels can you please give me some advice? Thank you

If you don't like geography don't take it just because you're good at it (unless it is required for a course you want to do). You'll be more willing to put in the time with sociology and enjoy it more, so therefore you'll probably get a better grade
I’ve just finished year 13 and did sociology (AQA). I found it really interesting due to how relevant it is, such as the education chapter. Most of the content is straightforward to understand and more difficult content can be understood with a bit more focus. I found that with essays, your technique will develop over time and once you know how the core debates you can achieve high marks
Hope this helps and I’m happy to answer any specific questions you have about sociology in general or revision or whatever
Reply 3
What did you take sociology with in planning to take it with psychology and law but I’m scared sociology and physiology are too closely linked.
What did you take sociology with in planning to take it with psychology and law but I’m scared sociology and physiology are too closely linked.

I did psychology with sociology and would say they’re definitely not too similar. The overlap in research methods means they compliment each other though I’d say the fact that psychology is slightly more scientific whereas sociology is more essay based means they’re not too closely linked
Reply 5
Thank you so much!
Reply 6
I’m so torn about which one to take I’m good
at geography and got a grade 9 at gcse but I really love sociology and the topic and concepts involved with it.

one is about people and the other 1 is about rocks

Quick Reply

Latest