The Student Room Group

Error carried forward (ecf)

Heyy I was wondering if the a level CIE chem paper 3 had error carried forward so even if I didn’t get the right results from the experiment, would I still get marks for the calculations parts if the method was right? Thank you x
If there is one person on TSR who can answer this question, it is definetely @5hyl33n!
Original post by diya_k1929
Heyy I was wondering if the a level CIE chem paper 3 had error carried forward so even if I didn’t get the right results from the experiment, would I still get marks for the calculations parts if the method was right? Thank you x

Hello!

This sort of information is usually written in the mark scheme. I'll use the 2021 paper as an example:
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/567190-june-2021-mark-scheme-paper-31.pdf

'The error carried forward (ecf) principle should be applied, where appropriate. If an incorrect answer is subsequently used in a scientifically correct way, the candidate should be awarded these subsequent marking points. Further guidance will be included in the mark scheme where necessary and any exceptions to this general principle will be noted.'

Depending on the paper you sat and the specific question, error carried forward (ecf) should be implemented, but I cannot say for certain.

Does this help?

I'll also move your thread to the 'Chemistry Forum' and rename your thread title to something more detailed.

:smile:
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Kallisto
If there is one person on TSR who can answer this question, it is definetely @5hyl33n!

Thank you for the tag. :yep:
Original post by 5hyl33n
Thank you for the tag. :yep:

You are welcome! Whenever 'A levels' and 'chemistry' are mentioned, I always think of you to tag. Because you did the A levels in chemistry and know the scheme, as you once said ro me!
Original post by Kallisto
You are welcome! Whenever 'A levels' and 'chemistry' are mentioned, I always think of you to tag. Because you did the A levels in chemistry and know the scheme, as you once said ro me!

That’s me. 🤭

Quick Reply

Latest