The Student Room Group

Student Finance for second degree

Hi all,

I'm in my final year of my degree, I started off as full-time for 3 years (using my gift year for a foundation programme on another degree) and am currently in a 4th year taking 30 credits part-time as I wanted to only do 90 credits last year.

I've realised albeit what I believe to be too late that I've taken up a subject that I'm not going to be able to pursue a career with and want to do a second degree in something in demand such as computer science.

I have 30 credits left needed to graduate my current humanities course, however I've been reading that if you hold a current bachelors degree that you cannot get student funding for a second degree.

If I were to drop out with 30 credits remaining on my degree, would I be able to receive part time funding for a new degree?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by Laika_x
Hi all,

I'm in my final year of my degree, I started off as full-time for 3 years (using my gift year for a foundation programme on another degree) and am currently in a 4th year taking 30 credits part-time as I wanted to only do 90 credits last year.

I've realised albeit what I believe to be too late that I've taken up a subject that I'm not going to be able to pursue a career with and want to do a second degree in something in demand such as computer science.

I have 30 credits left needed to graduate my current humanities course, however I've been reading that if you hold a current bachelors degree that you cannot get student funding for a second degree.

If I were to drop out with 30 credits remaining on my degree, would I be able to receive part time funding for a new degree?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi there,

Just to confirm would you be leaving this course without a qualification and when are you looking to start the course/part time? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

Just to confirm would you be leaving this course without a qualification and when are you looking to start the course/part time? Thanks, Jason

Yes that is correct. I would be 30 module credits short of a qualification. I'd like to go through clearing this year is possible but could wait until next.

Could you also explain the outcome if I did leave with a qualification? I would study part time as I have used up all of my full time loans.

Also would I be entitled to maintenance loans despite having used so many for full time?
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Laika_x
Yes that is correct. I would be 30 module credits short of a qualification. I'd like to go through clearing this year is possible but could wait until next.

Could you also explain the outcome if I did leave with a qualification? I would study part time as I have used up all of my full time loans.

Also would I be entitled to maintenance loans despite having used so many for full time?

Hi Laika,

Many Computer Science courses are exceptions when studied part-time. So, this means you'll be entitled to the funding regardless of whether you achieved a qualification or not. You may also be entitled to a Maintenance Loan if the course isn't distance learning.

If you have a particular course and university in mind let us know and we'll check to see what kind of funding you'll be entitled to.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
hat
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi Laika,

Many Computer Science courses are exceptions when studied part-time. So, this means you'll be entitled to the funding regardless of whether you achieved a qualification or not. You may also be entitled to a Maintenance Loan if the course isn't distance learning.

If you have a particular course and university in mind let us know and we'll check to see what kind of funding you'll be entitled to.

Thanks, Graeme

What about this course? https://www.bbk.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computing/#1696118400_UBSCOMPG_C

And so, if computer science for example is my second degree and I'm learning on campus - I would be entitled to a maintenance loan?
Original post by Laika_x
hat

What about this course? https://www.bbk.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computing/#1696118400_UBSCOMPG_C

And so, if computer science for example is my second degree and I'm learning on campus - I would be entitled to a maintenance loan?

Hi Laika,

That would be correct. If you are physically attending the course. Would this apply to you? Thanks, Jason
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi Laika,

That would be correct. If you are physically attending the course. Would this apply to you? Thanks, Jason

Yes this would be the case
Original post by Laika_x
Yes this would be the case

Hi Laika,

Based on this you should be entitled to the Maintenance Loan too.

To know for sure you'll need to make an application: our assessors can then tell you exactly what your entitlement is.

Do you know when your course will begin?

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending