The Student Room Group

Student Finance Divorced Parents

My Parents are divorced but currently still living in the same house together until later next year, so I'm trying to find out when applying for maintenance loan if both of their incomes will be taken into account or if I only need to supply one of their incomes since they are divorced?
Original post by 011298
My Parents are divorced but currently still living in the same house together until later next year, so I'm trying to find out when applying for maintenance loan if both of their incomes will be taken into account or if I only need to supply one of their incomes since they are divorced?

Hey @011298,

Student Finance bases your maintenance loan on household income rather than marital status, so if your parents are still living together, then both of their incomes will need to be reported. This will likely change for your next year of study when they are living apart though, when it would be more appropriate to report the income of just the single main parent you live with!

The way it works is a bit odd I know, but just the way that SFE decides to work it! Hope this helps.

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd Year Psychology BSc
Original post by 011298

Hi 011298,

If they are divorced, the supporting sponsor can provide their Decree Absolute with a cover letter. If they are unable to provide this they should send a covering letter, with supporting evidence, explaining their circumstances. A letter from their ex partner will help assessors to understand their situation if they are able to include this.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Thanks, Clare
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey @011298,

Student Finance bases your maintenance loan on household income rather than marital status, so if your parents are still living together, then both of their incomes will need to be reported. This will likely change for your next year of study when they are living apart though, when it would be more appropriate to report the income of just the single main parent you live with!

The way it works is a bit odd I know, but just the way that SFE decides to work it! Hope this helps.

Millie
Lancaster Student Ambassador, 3rd Year Psychology BSc

Please don't respond to Ask SFE threads if you're not 100% sure of the accuracy of your answer.

For what it's worth SFE are bound by government regulations on what can and can't be counted towards student household income - they don't make the rules they just apply them (and get a hell of a lot of abuse and anger from people who don't understand that).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending