The Student Room Group

Getting a loan for PGCE straight after MA

My MA completion date is in September, and my PGCE start date is in September 2024 too.

I've gone back and forth between the university finance department and my subject department, and ultimately it seems that I will need to pay the first semester of my PGCE myself. The slight overlap means that I am not eligible for a SFE loan.

I have enough saved from working in my gap years, but still this isn't ideal, so I want to secure a loan for my second and third semesters at the university I'll be completing my PGCE in.

When should I apply for the loan?
Should I apply for a PGCE loan now or wait after paying the first semester?

I'd be really grateful for any advice.
Hi there,

Can you confirm the name of the course you are on just now, what university you attend and how many years was your course? To confirm you are in your final year and when did your academic year start?

Can you also confirm the name of the new course you want to do, what university will you attend and the duration of this course? Do you hold Qualified Teacher Status?

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Original post by Drew SLC
Hi there,

Can you confirm the name of the course you are on just now, what university you attend and how many years was your course? To confirm you are in your final year and when did your academic year start?

Can you also confirm the name of the new course you want to do, what university will you attend and the duration of this course? Do you hold Qualified Teacher Status?

Thanks, Drew

Thank you so much for your prompt reply, I really appreciate it.

Course I am on right now: MA Modern Literature and Culture at King's College London (start date Sept 2023, Full time)
I graduated from UG degree in 2022.

Course I want to do: PGCE in English Secondary, Oxford University, Course Code: Q3X1.
Duration of course: 1 year, full time. Start date: September 2024

No I do not currently hold Qualified Teacher Status.
Hi there,

I can see your Postgraduate Course is due to finish on the 17th of September and the PGCE Course is due to start on the 9th of September. Due to this overlap you would not be eligible for any funding for this course. You would need to apply for a course which has a January intake.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 4
Hi there,

I can see your Postgraduate Course is due to finish on the 17th of September and the PGCE Course is due to start on the 9th of September. Due to this overlap you would not be eligible for any funding for this course. You would need to apply for a course which has a January intake.

Thanks, Drew

Hi Drew,

Thank you for the reply. Is it possible if you could kindly break down the approximate instalments I will need to pay for the PGCE? Are there any other ways I could use to try to secure funding for my second and third semesters?

Kind Regards,
A
Hi there,

If you were going to self fund the course you would need to speak to the university and ask them when they would expect the instalments for the course. In regards to trying to get help with the funding I would also advise you to speak to the university or you could also speak to citizens advice as they may be able to help you find funding as well.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 6
Hi there,

If you were going to self fund the course you would need to speak to the university and ask them when they would expect the instalments for the course. In regards to trying to get help with the funding I would also advise you to speak to the university or you could also speak to citizens advice as they may be able to help you find funding as well.

Thanks, Drew

Will do, thanks Drew!
Hi there,

You're welcome. I hope you have a nice day.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending