The Student Room Group

Switching to Econ and Maths after getting into the uni

I'm applying for BSc Economics at Warwick and LSE and was wondering if I do get offers from them is there a possibility to switch to Joint Hons Econ and Maths once I get in, as in when I start attending the uni? For context I have 5A* predicted in Maths, FM, Econ, Eng Lit, EPQ.

Also I have an offer from Bristol for BSc Economics and Mathematics, would this be good for IB/quant roles down the line (maybe if i go on to do a masters in something maths related etc)
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by yzven
I'm applying for BSc Economics at Warwick and LSE and was wondering if I do get offers from them is there a possibility to switch to Joint Hons Econ and Maths once I get in, as in when I start attending the uni? For context I have 5A* predicted in Maths, FM, Econ, Eng Lit, EPQ.

Also I have an offer from Bristol for BSc Economics and Mathematics, would this be good for IB/quant roles down the line (maybe if i go on to do a masters in something maths related etc)

Why would you want to wait until "I get in, as in when I start attending the uni"? In all likelihood, the joint honours course will be full at that point (as they'll just have filled it with new students) meaning they'd be unable to accommodate you.

If you want to switch, the sooner you let them know the better.
Original post by yzven

Generally transferring into the maths department at Warwick from an external department is, I gather, unusual and difficult: https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/currentstudents/ughandbook/transfers/

Granted the above may be more aimed at those wishing to transfer into the single honours maths course. However note that the first year of the maths and economics degree is identical to the first year of the maths degree and you just do one economics module as compulsory.

Also bear in mind Warwick is one of the top 4 maths departments in the UK and usually applicants need to have taken and done well in STEP and/or MAT.

If you want to go into that course you should just apply to it directly.

In terms of the latter question - investment banking roles don't care what your degree is in. You could do a degree in classics, as long as it's at a target uni.

For quant roles you realistically need a PhD in maths, CS, physics, or perhaps something adjacent like engineering. Usually an economics background does not prepare you to become a quant.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending