The Student Room Group

Law? Future degree

So i chose subjects for alevel that i genuinely enjoy.. (rs, geography, psychology) i love humanities and im really happy with my alevel choices… however with these subjects i told my parents that i wanted to do law and i did have a passion for it but i realised convincing people and drafting documents isnt realy want i want to do in the future. My parents wanted me to do sciences but i told them with law u can choose any subjects so they agreed. I mean i dont hate the idea of doing law, it excites me but i dont have a great passion for it compared to other people who want to do law. I’m excited about having a job, but i feel like i wont have a real passion for any future degree… so do i still explore the law route? Or do i move on?
It sounds like you haven’t submitted your UCAS application - are you a first year A level student?

Have a think about what interests you about law, but remember that you don’t have to be a lawyer after completing a law degree. Many people don’t, and training contracts are incredibly competitive so good to have a backup plan anyway.

If you’re not sure about studying law, there are loads of great books you can read (eg. Letters to a Law Student), and I’d also recommend visiting your local court and reading judgments on BAILII.

Finally, if you’re only looking at law because of Suits/you want to be a corporate lawyer and earn loads of money, definitely don’t study law. Very few people go on to do this, which is why average earnings for people with a law degree are not great.
Original post by rabiiii379
So i chose subjects for alevel that i genuinely enjoy.. (rs, geography, psychology) i love humanities and im really happy with my alevel choices… however with these subjects i told my parents that i wanted to do law and i did have a passion for it but i realised convincing people and drafting documents isnt realy want i want to do in the future. My parents wanted me to do sciences but i told them with law u can choose any subjects so they agreed. I mean i dont hate the idea of doing law, it excites me but i dont have a great passion for it compared to other people who want to do law. I’m excited about having a job, but i feel like i wont have a real passion for any future degree… so do i still explore the law route? Or do i move on?

Hi there

It is good to hear that you are already beginning to think about you career options. I am a current law student who did not study law-related A levels, yet I have found the degree quite enjoyable. Hopefully I can answer shed some like into what a law degree is like and what it can lead to.

When I was doing my A-levels, I did not know what career I was interested in either. So you are definitely not alone in feeling a bit lost or confused. It is great that you are enjoying your current A level subjects, that can be a good starting point. :biggrin: Studying law may sometimes involve considerations of the social impact of laws, which you may find interesting. Studying law also involves a lot of reading (cases, legislations, journal articles). Most law students who find themselves enjoying some topics over others (though this really depends on personal preferences). Letters to a Law Student is an insightful book which I would recommend having a look at. :smile: If you have any questions on studying a law degree, I will be happy to answer them.

A good way to find out whether you enjoy the law in practice would be getting work experience, or talking to those who are already in the profession. Studying law and practicing law are quite different. It is always useful to get some insights before making any decisions. :smile: (Though I do echo the above, that you do not need to enter a law career even if you do choose to take a law degree and vice versa.)

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by alexsidebottom
It sounds like you haven’t submitted your UCAS application - are you a first year A level student?

Have a think about what interests you about law, but remember that you don’t have to be a lawyer after completing a law degree. Many people don’t, and training contracts are incredibly competitive so good to have a backup plan anyway.

If you’re not sure about studying law, there are loads of great books you can read (eg. Letters to a Law Student), and I’d also recommend visiting your local court and reading judgments on BAILII.

Finally, if you’re only looking at law because of Suits/you want to be a corporate lawyer and earn loads of money, definitely don’t study law. Very few people go on to do this, which is why average earnings for people with a law degree are not great.

Thanks for your reply, and yes im in year 12, i agree a backup plan is very important for competitve degrees but the problem is i have too many backup plans but they are not really back up….and they keep changing. And yesss i agree the thought of doing law just for the money would kinda be usueless cos then ur unhappy like i just want to be happy with the degree i do yk. Also thank u cos im defo gonna read some books and maybe do some work experience to know if i acc want to do law… otherwise i think ill move on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending