The Student Room Group

How do universities normally react when they receive solicitor letters from students?

How do universities normally react when they receive solicitor letters from students?

For instance, from those who have suffered mistreatment and exhausted the internal complaints procedures and decided to act?
Reply 1
They'll react by following their normal procedures for receiving such a letter.
Generally indifference. They’ll pass them to their internal legal department or their lawyers to assess if there’s anything worth pursuing and if not they’ll ignore it (or add it to the file to use as evidence against you for making a nuisance).
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Generally indifference. They’ll pass them to their internal legal department or their lawyers to assess if there’s anything worth pursuing and if not they’ll ignore it (or add it to the file to use as evidence against you for making a nuisance).

Isn't it a procedural requirement for civil litigation? It's like judges won't accept a claim without either party serving the other party a notice of disagreements / infractions
Reply 4
They will have a Legal Team that deal with it according to a process, to defend the institutions interests as best as possible. It won’t be as emotional for the uni as for you
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
They will have a Legal Team that deal with it according to a process, to defend the institutions interests as best as possible. It won’t be as emotional for the uni as for you

I certainly know, but my situation is so bad that I find it hard simply doing nothing.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Isn't it a procedural requirement for civil litigation? It's like judges won't accept a claim without either party serving the other party a notice of disagreements / infractions

'Judges' is assuming the case goes to court; it may not.

If you want more information on the process, ask your solicitor; it's what they are there for!
Reply 7
Original post by Surnia
'Judges' is assuming the case goes to court; it may not.

If you want more information on the process, ask your solicitor; it's what they are there for!

Will speak to one again tomorrow.
Reply 8
Just spoken to a lawyer, who told me the scope of the issues to be dealt with had to be narrowed in order to be cost-effective.
Going back to the original Q, 99% of staff wouldn't care and would be quite pleased it's gone down a formal route so it's no longer anything they need to get involved with.
Reply 10
Original post by Admit-One
Going back to the original Q, 99% of staff wouldn't care and would be quite pleased it's gone down a formal route so it's no longer anything they need to get involved with.

What does this really mean?

What does anything really mean?

It means that if anything legal lands on my desk, it goes to the legal team and I never have to think about it ever again.
Reply 13
It means that if anything legal lands on my desk, it goes to the legal team and I never have to think about it ever again.

Yep. Few things better than some other **** having to deal with nonsense instead of me.
Original post by gjd800
Yep. Few things better than some other **** having to deal with nonsense instead of me.

Very little better than someone who has made a formal complaint calling in, only to find that we can no longer speak to them outside of that process.
Reply 15
Very little better than someone who has made a formal complaint calling in, only to find that we can no longer speak to them outside of that process.

I had this very recently and the chap was very upset, but I also have a conflict of interest thing because I am in principle a member of the examination board that they were complaining about (even when not actively serving on it) :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending