The Student Room Group

Finance after dropping out

I'm considering dropping out from my current course and starting a new one this september and was wondering how it would affect my student finance for the current year.
i was meant to be retaking my first year after doing a foundation year however i experienced a mental health crisis and find studying in london and the overwhelming anxiety is what triggered it.
i want to study in a much less busy area yet with a stronger mental health support from the university itself.
i'm yet to officially drop out but on the recommendation of my therapist leaving my current uni to pursue studies elsewhere seems to be the best option.
Hi vroorv02,

If you were to start a new course and have 2 years previous study (the year you withdraw early is considered as a year of previous study), you would normally need to self fund the Tuition Fees in the first year of the new course as the previous study calculation is ; course length +1- previous study years. For example, if it is a new 3 year course, it would be 3+1-2= 2 years. As you had compelling personal reasons as to why you left the course, you can provide evidence such as a GP letter that confirms what happened, when this happened and how this directly impacted your studies, you can then be awarded the Tuition Fee Loan in year 1 again so that you receive full support for the duration of the new course.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi vroorv02,

If you were to start a new course and have 2 years previous study (the year you withdraw early is considered as a year of previous study), you would normally need to self fund the Tuition Fees in the first year of the new course as the previous study calculation is ; course length +1- previous study years. For example, if it is a new 3 year course, it would be 3+1-2= 2 years. As you had compelling personal reasons as to why you left the course, you can provide evidence such as a GP letter that confirms what happened, when this happened and how this directly impacted your studies, you can then be awarded the Tuition Fee Loan in year 1 again so that you receive full support for the duration of the new course.

Thanks, Clare

Thank you for the reply, would i be able to use a letter from my therapist as evidence?
Original post by vroorv02
Thank you for the reply, would i be able to use a letter from my therapist as evidence?

HI there,

Yes, you can provide a letter from your Therapist as long as its on headed paper and signed and dated. It must confirm what the Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) are, how it affected your studies and the dates this affected you. When you send it include a covering letter explaining why you're sending it and the team will review and confirm if its been accepted or not.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending