The Student Room Group

Best Uni for Game Art?

Which would be the best University out of the ones below for Game Art?

Falmouth Uni
Norwich Uni
Manchester Metropolitan
University of Arts, London (UAL)
Have you visited them all?

What do you consider the pros and cons of each?
Reply 2
Hi there, even though I’ve only applied to one of these listed universities (that being Norwich)

(I did apply to Falmouth too but changed it to a different course)

I would say that from the research I have done over the months Norwich looks very good ! And is on the more affordable side (out of the unis you applied to). Norwich seems to have a very large creative scene and is great for queer folk, it is quite far from other large cities but from the research I’ve done there seems to be a load to do as a student outside of the uni itself.

Some information about the other unis that I think would be helpful is

Falmouth Uni’s campus that the game art course is in (Penryn) further away from the main campus (if this is an issue for you). Falmouth as a whole is very very far from a majority of other cities if you want/need to travel, but is a really nice place to be if you’re a fan of the seaside (Penryn is further in land however). From things I’ve read there have been a lot of accommodation issues with Falmouth especially with the students in Penryn, so prepare for the possibility of having to share a bedroom originally meant for 1 person with another person while also paying a load of money….

UAL’s game art course is extremely new so there isn’t really much information about it, the student work shown on the site was very fascinating though since it comes across as more graphic compared to a lot of the other game art courses. The London Communication campus is in a very convenient area, which places you in a great area that is very near to the South Bank. The major con (which is to be expected) is the very very large costs.

Unfortunately I don’t have much to say about Manchester Met’s course since I wasn’t particularly drawn in by anything to do a load of research, I’ve heard nice things about Manchester Met as a uni itself though

I was given an offer by Norwich to study Game Art in 2024 myself so if you’re curious about the application process I can share my experience ! I hope things go well for you !

I apologise if this was hard to read lol…. I kind of suck at writing things like this but I wanted to try and help out since I’ve not found many people applying to Game Art online ^_^
Reply 3
Hi there, even though I’ve only applied to one of these listed universities I would say that from the research I have done over the months Norwich looks very good ! And is on the more affordable side from the unis you applied to. Norwich seems to have a very large creative scene and is great for queer folk, it is quite far from other large cities but from the research I’ve done there seems to be a load to do as a student outside of the uni itself.

For some reason this site won’t send me all that I wrote so I have to send multiple replies so sorry for the incoming notif spam haha
Reply 4
Original post by deadlyr4ve
Hi there, even though I’ve only applied to one of these listed universities I would say that from the research I have done over the months Norwich looks very good ! And is on the more affordable side from the unis you applied to. Norwich seems to have a very large creative scene and is great for queer folk, it is quite far from other large cities but from the research I’ve done there seems to be a load to do as a student outside of the uni itself.

For some reason this site won’t send me all that I wrote so I have to send multiple replies so sorry for the incoming notif spam haha

Some info about the other unis that I think would be helpful is Falmouth Uni’s campus that the game art course is in (Penryn) is further away from the main campus (if this is an issue). Falmouth as a whole is pretty far from a majority of cities so it’d be a hassle if you want/need to travel, however is a really nice place to be if you’re a fan of the seaside (Penryn is further in land though). From things I’ve read there have been a lot of accommodation issues with Falmouth especially with the students in Penryn, so prepare for the possibility of having to share a bedroom originally meant for 1 person with another person while also paying a load of money….

UAL’s game art course is very new so there isn’t really much information about it, the student work shown on the site was very interesting since it comes across as more stylised compared to a lot of the other game art courses. The London Communication campus is in a very convenient area, which places you in a great area that is very near to the South Bank. The major con (which is to be expected) is the very very large costs.
Reply 5

Some info about the other unis that I think would be helpful is Falmouth Uni’s campus that the game art course is in (Penryn) is further away from the main campus (if this is an issue). Falmouth as a whole is pretty far from a majority of cities so it’d be a hassle if you want/need to travel, however is a really nice place to be if you’re a fan of the seaside (Penryn is further in land though). From things I’ve read there have been a lot of accommodation issues with Falmouth especially with the students in Penryn, so prepare for the possibility of having to share a bedroom originally meant for 1 person with another person while also paying a load of money….

UAL’s game art course is very new so there isn’t really much information about it, the student work shown on the site was very interesting since it comes across as more stylised compared to a lot of the other game art courses. The London Communication campus is in a very convenient area, which places you in a great area that is very near to the South Bank. The major con (which is to be expected) is the very very large costs.

Unfortunately I don’t have much to say about Manchester Met’s course since I wasn’t particularly drawn in by anything to do a load of research, I’ve heard nice things about Manchester Met as a uni itself though

I was actually given a conditional offer by Norwich to study Game Art in 2024 so if you’re curious about the application process I can share my experience ! I hope things go well for you !

I apologise if this was hard to read lol…. I kind of suck at writing things like this but I wanted to try and help out since I’ve not found many people applying to Game Art online ^_^
Reply 6

I was actually given a conditional offer by Norwich to study Game Art in 2024 so if you’re curious about the application process I can share my experience ! I hope things go well for you !

AAA ur response is rlly helpful thank you!! Yeah i’m struggling between Falmouth and Norwich as my top two. I’ve read about the accommodation problems :frown: but i really love the area and like the fact that it’s quiet haha. I have yet to visit Norwich but the Uni seems really good and a load of people i know have gone and loooved it. I have conditional offers for the normal 3 year placement for both of them unis. Falmouth is also about 8 hours from me 🫠🫠 and Norwich is only 2 hours hsshhshs. I’m still undecided but ur replies rlly helped thanks sm <33 and yesss there’s very little game art students on here HAHAHA so i had to make this post even tho i have no idea how to use the app. Hope u enjoy ur course !!
Reply 7

yeah i’m bi myself so that’s great to hear :smile:) I probably will give Norwich a visit soon since i’m sooo stuck between falmouth and norwich 🫣🫣 is norwich ur top uni choice?
Reply 8
Original post by Hattsssiiie

AAA ur response is rlly helpful thank you!! Yeah i’m struggling between Falmouth and Norwich as my top two. I’ve read about the accommodation problems :frown: but i really love the area and like the fact that it’s quiet haha. I have yet to visit Norwich but the Uni seems really good and a load of people i know have gone and loooved it. I have conditional offers for the normal 3 year placement for both of them unis. Falmouth is also about 8 hours from me 🫠🫠 and Norwich is only 2 hours hsshhshs. I’m still undecided but ur replies rlly helped thanks sm <33 and yesss there’s very little game art students on here HAHAHA so i had to make this post even tho i have no idea how to use the app. Hope u enjoy ur course !!

Ahhh I’m glad !!! I hope you are able to figure stuff out soon ^_^ Good luck !!
Reply 9
Original post by Hattsssiiie

yeah i’m bi myself so that’s great to hear :smile:) I probably will give Norwich a visit soon since i’m sooo stuck between falmouth and norwich 🫣🫣 is norwich ur top uni choice?

Norwich actually isn’t my first choice hahah my first choice is USW as I love Cardiff so so much as a city but I’m starting to have worries about social stuff in the uni itself cuz it’s not the main campus x_x
So hmmmm I’m not sure honestly

Norwich will probably either be my second or third choice depending on how much I like Abertay when visiting (if I am accepted by them of course)
Reply 10
Have a look on Linkedin to see if you can find graduates from the courses you are interested in and see if they have jobs in the games industry. Then email them and ask them if they would recommend the degree... and if you don't find anyone from those courses working in industry you might want to think about whether you should get into a lot of debt in the future...

Quick Reply

Latest