The Student Room Group

I hate my A Levels and desperately want to change it

i currently do geo, business and ICT as a btech however i absolutely hate it. I really want to go into a career in STEM (preferably astronomy or astrophysics) and maybe geo and ict could help me but i really have no interest, passion or motivation to continue these subjects. I really wanted to do Maths and Physics but i unfortunately didn't get those grades and i was thinking of perhaps retaking maths to get a higher grade and cuz i dont mind doing an extra year but the people around me with the exception of 2 people have told me that its a waste of time and money cuz i might just end up not getting those grades ( ngl that really hurt me and kinda makes me feel dumb :frown: )

my sister who also did business for A Levels also said i should just continue the subjects for the next 2 years as i should be realistic about my future and do something thats within my skill level which is a shame cuz i actually liked science and maths.

i will try to talk to head of A levels about this but idk what they're gonna say or if theres even a solution for this. Any help or advice is welcome.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
I would always recommend trying to do the subjects you are actually passionate for, as it will usually end up being better in the long term. Also, if you are planning on going to university then foundation years are always an option to help allow you to make the switch into a more stem based subject if that's what you're passionate about.
Original post by mayppl
i currently do geo, business and ICT as a btech however i absolutely it it. I really want to go into a career in STEM (preferably astronomy or astrophysics) and maybe geo and ict could help me but i really have no interest, passion or motivation to continue these subjects. I really wanted to do Maths and Physics but i unfortunately didn't get those grades and i was thinking of perhaps retaking maths to get a higher grade and cuz i dont mind doing an extra year but the people around me with the exception of 2 people have told me that its a waste of time and money cuz i might just end up not getting those grades ( ngl that really hurt me and kinda makes me feel dumb :frown: )

my sister who also did business for A Levels also said i should just continue the subjects for the next 2 years as i should be realistic about my future and do something thats within my skill level which is a shame cuz i actually liked science and maths.

i will try to talk to head of A levels about this but idk what they're gonna say or if theres even a solution for this. Any help or advice is welcome.

Hi there, I am sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your A levels at the moment.

For A levels, I understand that passion can be really important, it can help you stay motivated and get through your studies. Perhaps you have considered what you would like to do in the longer term? After A levels, University, or a career maybe? It would be good to have a look at any University entry requirements (if that is the path you decide to pursue.)

From my personal experience, A level sciences and maths are a large step up from GCSEs, I would recommend talking to students that currently take these courses and see how they are finding it, or what topics they are studying? If it interests you, and you are willing to try hard for the resits then go for it. :smile: Make sure you research fully about the courses before making the decision. :biggrin:

I also echo the advice in the post above, you could always decide on a foundation year in University once you are more certain of your interest in STEM courses. (You may want to focus on achieving high A level grades, as it would widen your options for University, or improve any future career prospects).

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest