The Student Room Group

Should I do a levels as an adult?

Student forum Hello,I’m 26 years old, I’m planning to get back to education to study medicine. Unfortunately, I have never done A-levels, just an access course 3 years ago(I got mostly merits). I regret my previous life decisions and I believe if I had put the work in, I would not go through this route.So I would like to ask:1) is it probable to do 3 A levels fast-track online? If so who would you recommend?2) do I need to redo my GCSEs if my previous results were all B3) do I need to declare on ucas my previous qualifications, such as the access course (OCN)?4) I work 5 days a week. I could probably squeeze in 3 hours of studying on weekdays and 10 hours on weekends. Is it doable to accomplish 3 A-levels in 24 months?
Reply 1
You can do level 3 qualifications at the college , also when you have certain ucas points you can do foundation year at university , I suggest you contact universities and check requirement and your options , meet with a career advisor.
I `came out of retirement` to do an A level again, a few years ago and i am much older.
There is nothing to stop you doing what i did, download the syllabus, buy the textbooks and other resources and do them yourself.
This is much easier than it used to be in my student days as the internet provides so much helpful info for you (mark schemes, past papers, you tube videos).
You can then pay to take the exams at a exam centre (note for subjects requiring practicals or one to one communication with an examiner as in foreign languages this may be difficult).
I think your timetable is tight, i spent about 500 hours on my Ancient History A level (grade A) and of course you are restricted in only being able to take the exams in May/June or November not just when you feel ready.
Enjoyed the course immensely and am now doing Classical Civilisation.
In short, perfectly possible, go for it!

Quick Reply

Latest