The Student Room Group

wrong uni subject?

this might sound silly but . i’m supposed to study history next year in uni but i’m unsure, and wondering whether i should try swap course because i did much better in my other 2 subjects. is this stupid because it could’ve just been papers not to my strengths, or am i actually going into a subject i’ll struggle with lol?
i know it’s only my decision to make but anyone’s idea would be appreciated !
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by zzkng
this might sound silly but i got an A in history a levels but i was super close to the grade boundary and almost got a B, which would’ve made me lose my uni place. i’m supposed to study history next year in uni but i’m unsure, unconfident and wondering whether i should try swap course because i did much worse in it than my other 2 subjects. is this stupid because it could’ve just been papers not to my strengths, and i still got A, or am i actually going into a subject i’ll struggle with lol?
i know it’s only my decision to make but anyone’s idea would be appreciated !

No, don't worry, I've often heard that university content is much different from A-level content for the same subject. Also, similarly Economics was my worst result but by far my most enjoyable subject. You will only thrive in university doing something you enjoy, not something you're "good" at. I've always been proficient at maths, and did well in it for A-levels but just hate it so couldn't imagine doing it for university. Stick to your decision.
Reply 2
Original post by toxicgamage56
No, don't worry, I've often heard that university content is much different from A-level content for the same subject. Also, similarly Economics was my worst result but by far my most enjoyable subject. You will only thrive in university doing something you enjoy, not something you're "good" at. I've always been proficient at maths, and did well in it for A-levels but just hate it so couldn't imagine doing it for university. Stick to your decision.

thank you !! this is what i was thinking, i’m naturally better at english but i feel a lot more passionate at history, so i suppose actual interest is more important than ease in a degree lol. id hate to swap and then both struggle and not enjoy another subject!
Original post by zzkng
thank you !! this is what i was thinking, i’m naturally better at english but i feel a lot more passionate at history, so i suppose actual interest is more important than ease in a degree lol. id hate to swap and then both struggle and not enjoy another subject!

Yeah, natural talent only goes so far so passion has to take over at some point. Sure you might have to work harder in History than English at first but over the years your proficiency in History will be far superior, simply because you enjoy and pursue it more.

Quick Reply

Latest