The Student Room Group

19 and no future

i have no real qualifications
i stopped self studying my a levels as i was too behind and haven’t studied since summer
i have no aspirations now
all i have is a good bf and hes at uni
i dont know what i want to do in life. how do i know?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
i stopped self studying my a levels as i was too behind and haven’t studied since summer

Maybe it was the A-levels you were doing which didn’t excite you enough, sometimes it takes a while to really find something you’re passionate in. If anything, you could always start up your own business, like crochet for example
Reply 2

have a look on udemy for courses that you are interested in. https://www.udemy.com/courses/free/?lang=fr
surely you have interests / hobbies, right? ever thought of working in those areas?
or volunteering to gain experience / customer service.
Reply 3
Original post by sr.snx
Maybe it was the A-levels you were doing which didn’t excite you enough, sometimes it takes a while to really find something you’re passionate in. If anything, you could always start up your own business, like crochet for example

i acc enjoyed them but i got w my bf and he was leaving for uni so we made the most of june- sep and i didn’t do much study as i have a job too 😕
i hate myself
Reply 4
You can’t really have no future at 19 as its quite reasonable to spend a bit of time finding your way at this age. Decide what you want to do and then go after it. Good that you’ve got a decent partner too
Reply 5
Original post by Zarek
You can’t really have no future at 19 as its quite reasonable to spend a bit of time finding your way at this age. Decide what you want to do and then go after it. Good that you’ve got a decent partner too

yeah i guess its just everyone around me including my bf is doing something good
im just working evenings and everything is awful and not how i planned my life to be
i just stopped studying as i chose to spend more time with my bf ijnthe months before he left for uni and im just regretting it as i studied so hard.
now i feel like i will have to stary again and do two years which will mean ill be 21 when collecting my a level resulys and going to uni and he’ll be in his last year
Just go back to doing A levels, yes it'll take 2 years but it's not going to take less time the more you put it off. And starting uni at 21 is absolutely fine, you'll only be 3 years older than most other freshers which at that age is nothing, no one will even know or notice.
Reply 7
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Just go back to doing A levels, yes it'll take 2 years but it's not going to take less time the more you put it off. And starting uni at 21 is absolutely fine, you'll only be 3 years older than most other freshers which at that age is nothing, no one will even know or notice.

but do unis accept a levels being done 2 and a half years?? im basically studying part time cos i work too
but do unis accept a levels being done 2 and a half years?? im basically studying part time cos i work too

Not sure, it may depend by subject and uni.
Reply 9
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Not sure, it may depend by subject and uni.

not so sure yet - may do nursing, social work or primary teaching / psychology a level teacher. need to get some work experience. just want to make a difference to peoples lives - hoping to go to a decent uni at least or the two unis which are local to me herts and aru and live at home but depends if i want to stay here or not.
how do you get predicted grades too?
Reply 10
yeah i guess its just everyone around me including my bf is doing something good
im just working evenings and everything is awful and not how i planned my life to be
i just stopped studying as i chose to spend more time with my bf ijnthe months before he left for uni and im just regretting it as i studied so hard.
now i feel like i will have to stary again and do two years which will mean ill be 21 when collecting my a level resulys and going to uni and he’ll be in his last year

I went to uni at 21, it was better, more mature and having already come through some academic difficulties that hit other course mates

Hey!

Firstly, don’t be so hard on yourself. It’s actually really hard deciding what you want to do with your life. I always felt like there’s so much pressure to decide what to do for the rest of your life! But this is not the case, whatever you choose now doesn’t have to be forever.

I am a mature student that came through an access course. I totally get feeling lost in your decision. I went straight from school into hairdressing and when I left, I tried out a few different jobs before deciding studying was the path I wanted to go down. Even after nice I made that decision…then I had to decide what to study 😅 I thought about doing every healthcare profession you can think of before settling on ODP.

Firstly, I’d suggest attending some open days. Hearing about all the different courses and talking to students might ignite a passion you don’t know about. Also check out some of the courses that different universities offer online.

Talk to people about their journeys. You’ll find that most people don’t know exactly what they want to do!

Take your time, go easy on yourself and enjoy the process of discovering what you’re really passionate about. It is never too late so don’t worry about age! I’m 33 and some of my uni pals are in their 40s! If you’re really not sure, just enjoy the working for now. Even if you don’t decide for another 5 years…who cares? We all have our own journeys, so try not to compare to others 🙂

Good luck! I hope this helps and you figure things out.

Sophie (ARU)
Have you considered the Armed Forces?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending