The Student Room Group

Returning to university in January

Last year I took an interruption of studies at the end of the first semester and I’m due to return to uni in January in london. I’m mostly nervous about making friends as everyone already will have known each other for a term. I know it’s going to be difficult but has anyone been in this situation/knows someone who has that can give me some advice . Thanks
Original post by Simsemil.15
Last year I took an interruption of studies at the end of the first semester and I’m due to return to uni in January in london. I’m mostly nervous about making friends as everyone already will have known each other for a term. I know it’s going to be difficult but has anyone been in this situation/knows someone who has that can give me some advice . Thanks

Hi there

I think that if it's meeting people that you are worried about but are happy with everything else, you should put yourself and your academia first and go back. You'll meet plenty of people, especially as it's the start of a new semester and people in your classes will be open to new friends in their modules. Social life can be challenging at university regardless, so it's important to put what you want to do first instead of waiting until September just in case it'll be easier then. However, this is understandably nervewracking so be kind to yourself!

I hope this helps.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi,

I would advise that you take things at your own speed and be kind to yourself when you start off in January as it will be a whirlwind getting back into university life without putting pressure on yourself to make friends too. I felt the same as you starting in 1st year too and was terrified that I'd never make any friends but I found myself naturally making friends straight away by doing simple things such as saying hello to the person I was sitting next to in a lecture hall or asking someone if I could join their group for lunch.

I've made incredible friends at university and everyone in my cohort now knows each other and we sit with different groups everyday for lunch so please don't be stressed about it! Other little things like group work will help you get to know others on your course and if you feel like you want some friends outside of your course, I'd recommend joining some societies or sports clubs as they are also an amazing way of making friends.

I hope this helps, and please reach out if you have any other questions or concerns,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
(edited 5 months ago)

@Simsemil.15

I think the most important thing is that you are confident.

People are drawn to confident people, so even if you do feel nervous or shy, if you are friendly, positive and outgoing (go to different uni events, try different societies and chat to different people) then that will give people an opportunity to get to know you and for you to get to know them.

For now, focus on prep that you can do in advance of January that will help you settle back into your studies. This will help you feel more prepared and confident.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there

I understand that going back to University can be stressful. Whilst many students will have found friends at University. Friendship groups are quite flexible and often changing in University.

Take your time to get back into the routine of studying. There are also students who will be starting University at January as freshers, so do not worry about making friends too much. :smile: Try attending societies, socials and speaking with your classmates. I am sure you will make friends.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hi @Simsemil.15,

It can be daunting to return to university after a break, so I'd recommend focusing on your studies, having a strong start, and establishing a good routine. This will then help you to integrate other things, such as sports and societies, part-time work, volunteering, and free-time into your schedule, which are all great opportunities to meet people and make friends!

There are bound to be other students who are starting in January too, so you will not be the only one feeling this way. And while it might seem like groups are already established, university friendships are extremely flexible, and most people will be open to speaking to someone new.

Best of luck,
Isabella 🙂

Hi there @Simsemil.15,

I am sorry to hear you are feeling nervous about making friends. Please know that making friends in university is easier than you may think, there are people from all different walks of life and you won't be the only student starting in January.

Like others have mentioned, if you are approachable I'm sure you'll have no problems meeting people but please don't put pressure on yourself to make friends right away. It's important right now to focus on preparing to go back to university and I'm sure once you've settled back in you will make new friends. Once you've settled in I'd recommend having a look at joining a society or sports clubs, this is a great way to meet new people outside your course that share similar interests to yourself.

Wishing you all the best, 😊
Sarah
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending