The Student Room Group

Spanish Landlord won’t return deposit

Hi,

I’m an Erasmus student who spent 1 semester from September to January studying in Spain. During this period I rented a room in a flat and left around the 25th of January. To this day the Landlord has not returned my deposit despite constant messaging. He also has not returned the deposit to the others who were living in the flat with me.

After one month of ignoring my texts, when I threatened legal action he responded saying that he would be receiving the gas invoice the next day and after this would return my deposit soon. He sent an almost identical message to my flatmate saying it would take no longer than 1 week. Another 3 weeks has passed and he’s not responding to any of my messages again.

The deposit is only around £400 but I am a student depending on this money. I’m not sure what to do as I’m no longer in Spain. If this had happened in England, I know my deposit would be protected and know which resources to use if I had issues but I have no idea where to start with this as I’m not familiar with Spanish laws.

I left the room in impeccable conditions and I really need my money back asap as I had budgeted future plans based on having this returned. Can anyone offer advice on what I should do please. He’s not responded to me in weeks now.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending