The Student Room Group

Geography personal statement

Hii! I am really struggling with my geography personal statement, I feel like it's not as impressive as the ones I have seen online. I am applying to many top universities for geography and I am struggling a lot, if someone can give me advice that would be great.
Instead of looking at other PSs have a look at the department websites for each of your 5 choices. Look at what modules are offered and look at their “news” and research to see what topics get the staff in those departments excited. Look into anything that sounds interesting and talk about those topics in your PS.
If u r interested we can also review ur personal statement for u
Original post by Loliara
Hii! I am really struggling with my geography personal statement, I feel like it's not as impressive as the ones I have seen online. I am applying to many top universities for geography and I am struggling a lot, if someone can give me advice that would be great.

Hi @Loliara,

The important thing to remember with your personal statement is that it's personal to you - so don't worry about what other people are submitting, yours is bound to be different!

Universities want to hear about what makes you so interested in Geography, so are there any specific stories you can tell that show why you love the subject? It might be an experience as a child on holiday, or a relevant podcast that you love listening to, or documentary you once watched that ignited your interest in the subject.

If you haven't already, speak to your Geography teacher, or another member of staff who can help. They've supported students through this many times before, so should be able to offer some guidance on this.

I hope this helps, but feel free to ask any questions!

Mara 🙂
Original post by Loliara

Hi,

Try not to compare your Personal Statement to others you've seen as your personal statement is exactly that - personal. It's your opportunity to make your application stand out from the rest and show why you are the best candidate for the course. Explain why you are passionate about your chosen courses and if you have any examples of how you showed your passion make sure to add them.

Try to show your motivation and determination to succeed and if you have a geography teacher or tutor in college that can support you, ask them for some support and ask them to read through it for any tips they can give to improve your statement as they will have proofread millions of PS's before so know how best to approach it.

Wishing you all the best with your application,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending