The Student Room Group

What to write about in politics personal statement?

I didn’t study politics at A Level but I’m quite interested in studying it at uni. However I don't have any academic experience with it and so I’m wondering what sort of topics I could write about with my A Levels of Geography and Economics. Also is there any reading that could be suggested?
Original post by AprilJune63
I didn’t study politics at A Level but I’m quite interested in studying it at uni. However I don't have any academic experience with it and so I’m wondering what sort of topics I could write about with my A Levels of Geography and Economics. Also is there any reading that could be suggested?

Hi @AprilJune63

That's great that you're thinking of applying for Politics!

Just because you haven't studied the subject in education, doesn't mean you can't apply or won't be successful. There are lots of transferable skills between subjects. You study Geography, for example, so I'm sure you'll have written reports or essays, conducted research, etc., which are all skills you can include towards Politics.

Plus, as you're thinking of applying for the subject, I'm sure you will have some personal interest in the subject that you can include in your statement. Is there a particular area of Politics you want to study as part of your degree? Or have you done some external research on current affairs in the political world. It's nice to see genuine interest in personal statements, so if you're including a combination of your academic studies and your interest in politics, your statement should come together nicely.

If there's also any non-academic work you've ever done, like a part time job, volunteering, competitions, even hobbies, see if you can drop these into your statement to show your wider interests. And if you can find a way to link these back to politics then that's great too!

Try not to put loads of pressure on it. It's simply a way for universities to get a better understanding of you, what you're interested in and what you've been up to so far. And as the name suggests, make sure it's personal to you.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your application!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Hiya!

Do not worry about it too much! As a great personal statement showcasing your passion for Politics and how your interests and skills align with the field, might as well do a great work 🙂

Both Geography and Economics are related to Politics to some extent. Therefore, make sure to explain how these subjects have helped you with developing skills relevant to Politics, for example analytical skills and global perspective. You could also link knowledge from these subjects to Politics, emphasising your awareness of the interconnectedness of global issues, the impact of policies on societies and economies, and the role of governance in shaping economic and geographical landscapes. This background can really be helpful in studying Politics!

Another excellent practice would be sharing any relevant extracurricular activities or experiences that have strengthened your interest in politics. Have you ever participated in a debate or community service (like volunteering)? Through them, you can showcase interest in exploring the field further and making a positive impact on society.

Finally, clearly state why you want to study politics and what you hope to achieve with this degree. Discuss your long-term goals and aspirations within the field of politics, such as a desire to contribute to positive societal change. The more specific and clear you are in your explanations, the better the Personal Statement because it shows that your decision is thoughtful and results from deep passion.

I hope it was helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 🙂 You can also chat with me or other student directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Hi, I'm a final year politics undergraduate at SOAS University of London. It's great that you're thinking of studying politics at University and luckily Geography and Economics are related to Politics in many ways. I'd suggest talking about your interest in politics with reference to any essays you've written or extra curricular events you've done like Model UN or a debating society at school you joined. I'd also recommend including tedtalks and books you've read that are related to politics and interest you. It's also great to add any extra-curricular events you've done like volunteering, part-time job etc and discuss the transferrable skills you gained and how these might help you in your politics degree and with excelling at life at university. Overall enjoy the process. Best of luck with your application!

Z
UG Arabic & IR
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending