The Student Room Group

Paternal instincts

I have noticed a guy I know has been following accounts on tiktok about having a daughter. Like how to care for a new born daughter, or just cute father and daughter/mother and daughter interactions. He's not weird or anything. Like a genuinely decent guy but he's young, single and childless, so where are these strong paternal instincts for a daughter coming from, also we are both in our early 20s... I mean it's a bit weird?
Nothing explicitly wrong with it, but strange...
(edited 5 months ago)
Are you expecting anyone here to have an answer for this?
Not particularly unusual, a lot of people have parental urges or desires in their teens and twenties.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Are you expecting anyone here to have an answer for this?

I mean would I post it here if I didn't?
Reply 4
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Not particularly unusual, a lot of people have parental urges or desires in their teens and twenties.

Makes sense but I have never seen a guy have these strong feelings to the extent of following new born channels and tiktoks on essentials to take to the hospital
Original post by 12115
Makes sense but I have never seen a guy have these strong feelings to the extent of following new born channels and tiktoks on essentials to take to the hospital

Why do you care so much??
Reply 6
Why do you care so much??

He's someone I fancy
Original post by 12115
I mean would I post it here if I didn't?

Yes? Maybe?

We get 1000s of threads with next to no info expecting us all to read a strangers mind for another stranger. We're not going to know what he thinks.
Original post by 12115
He's someone I fancy

And?? If that's something he likes then let him be lmaoo. He's hurting absolutely no one by his interest in that.
Reply 9
And?? If that's something he likes then let him be lmaoo. He's hurting absolutely no one by his interest in that.

I'm not trying to change him, just trying to understand why.
This is a place to ask questions and engage in some productive discussion right? It's new to me, seeing a single, young, childless man be so interested in having a daughter. I was hoping for some general psychological reasoning behind this...
I have not even bothered him about it.
Reply 10
Original post by StriderHort
Yes? Maybe?

We get 1000s of threads with next to no info expecting us all to read a strangers mind for another stranger. We're not going to know what he thinks.

Mate no one asked you to reply or even engage in this post. I'm not expecting anything from you, move on if you have no input.
Original post by 12115
I'm not trying to change him, just trying to understand why.
This is a place to ask questions and engage in some productive discussion right? It's new to me, seeing a single, young, childless man be so interested in having a daughter. I was hoping for some general psychological reasoning behind this...
I have not even bothered him about it.

And possible reasons have been given. You could, you know, also ask him directly...
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by 12115
Mate no one asked you to reply or even engage in this post. I'm not expecting anything from you, move on if you have no input.

There's no point getting rude with me just because you can't make up your mind if you expect replies or not, but I'll leave you to it :smile:
I'm nearly 19, I've wanted kids my entire life, my desire was exacerbated when so many of my close friends (older ones) started having babies. Every Time I went to a clothes shop I would spend ages looking at the baby clothes and select what I would get if I had a baby. Recently I even thought about getting a life size Annabelle doll from Smith's and pretending I had a baby, I planned to buy it clothes and to bath it and buy cradle for it to put in my room. I dropped the idea because I didn't want to look like a schizophrenic. (I can assure you I'm not) And I'm not a dangerous person, just loved the idea of a baby.
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm nearly 19, I've wanted kids my entire life, my desire was exacerbated when so many of my close friends (older ones) started having babies. Every Time I went to a clothes shop I would spend ages looking at the baby clothes and select what I would get if I had a baby. Recently I even thought about getting a life size Annabelle doll from Smith's and pretending I had a baby, I planned to buy it clothes and to bath it and buy cradle for it to put in my room. I dropped the idea because I didn't want to look like a schizophrenic. (I can assure you I'm not) And I'm not a dangerous person, just loved the idea of a baby.

Yhh, I do find it cute. I guess I was just very surprised since I'd never seen that side of him, or surprised at the extent of this paternal urge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending