The Student Room Group

Having a break during A Levels

Hi, so I've had a really rough year 12 and I have the grades to carry on but don't think I'm better enough to take on the stress of exams yet, would it be worth taking a year out to recover properly and then doing year 13?
Hi Isabella,

I'm sorry you've had such a stressful year!

I think if you're asking the question, you may already have a gut instinct about what the right decision is.

I think it would be best to speak to your parents/guardians and some friends about what they think. Also if you like any of your teachers, speak to them about it too.

Do you have a therapist? They may be able to offer some impartial advice too.

When I have a difficult decision to make, I sometimes struggle with listening to my own gut instincts, so I try and speak to as many different kinds of people in my life as possible (optimistic friends, pessimistic friends etc) this helps me get a balanced view and helps me weigh up my decisions and ultimately helps lead me to the choice I know I need to make.

Looking after your health and wellbeing should always come first, but I think it's important to have a proactive plan in place for what you will do with that year if you do not continue with your education. Watching all of your peers progress while you take a year out, may be tricky if you don't keep yourself busy and active.

Hope that helps.

Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.

Quick Reply

Latest