The Student Room Group

Degree choice

Hi,
I am considering what sort of degree to do. i was originally thinking of medicine, however, i have changed my mind. my a levels are maths, further maths, bio and chem. I would ideally want to do something high paying. any suggestions
Original post by Anonymous48
Hi,
I am considering what sort of degree to do. i was originally thinking of medicine, however, i have changed my mind. my a levels are maths, further maths, bio and chem. I would ideally want to do something high paying. any suggestions

Engineering? Biological and chemical or biomedical perhaps? Pharmacy is one of the best options (good pay is standard, some even earn more than doctors).
Reply 2
'High paying' is not an adequate reason for doing any degree or job - or one that is likely to give you much life satisfaction.

Suggestions/examples to look at :
Natural Sciences (interdisciplinary science degree) - Natural Sciences - Lancaster University
All sorts of medicine-related Bio subjects - Undergraduate | School of Cellular and Molecular Medicine | University of Bristol
Pharmacy and Pharmacology - Choosing between Pharmacy and Pharmacology (bath.ac.uk)
Actuarial Maths - Actuarial Mathematics BSc (Hons) - 2024/25 entry - Courses - University of Liverpool
Law - Law LLB | Undergraduate | Newcastle University (ncl.ac.uk)
Reply 3
Original post by Tulipbloom
Engineering? Biological and chemical or biomedical perhaps? Pharmacy is one of the best options (good pay is standard, some even earn more than doctors).

hi, r u saying these options r good due to the a level that i do or are these jobs in general high paying? thank u for replying
hi, r u saying these options r good due to the a level that i do or are these jobs in general high paying? thank u for replying

Both ngl and personally there is nothing wrong with saying you want to look into a career/degree that could potentially offer/lead you to a high pay in the future.
Reply 5
Both ngl and personally there is nothing wrong with saying you want to look into a career/degree that could potentially offer/lead you to a high pay in the future.

hi, thanks for your response. do u think i will be able to get into finance or would i need a level eco for that?
hi, thanks for your response. do u think i will be able to get into finance or would i need a level eco for that?

Hey A level Maths and Further Maths are more than sufficient for finance in the UK. Are you looking to apply outside the UK though?
Reply 7
Hey A level Maths and Further Maths are more than sufficient for finance in the UK. Are you looking to apply outside the UK though?

hi, thanks for your response. No, I am only looking to apply inside the UK, ideally in London but i do not mind staying outside of london for prestigious unis such as Oxbridge, or even warrick. I was thinking of doing Investment banking more specifically in finance, i heard that one way you could do that is by doing economics as a degree from one of the top unis. i dont do a-level eco so does it make any sense for me to do econ as a degree. also, i have heard from people that for investment banking, it is more about the uni you go to rather than degree, is that true? sorry for all the questions, and thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest