The Student Room Group

Sleep deprivation

What can I do about sleep deprivation that is affecting my mental and physical health? I get about 3 hours of sleep a night and have done since the start of term because my housemates follow an entirely different routine to me and are making noise generally until about 2 or 3 am. The extractor fan is extremely loud and is in the wall of my bedroom so it is impossible for me to sleep whenever someone is in the bathroom. The fan is the main issue but there are also other noises like banging cupboards/pots and pans when cooking late at night. I have to get up early because I have tutorials/lectures at 9am most days and I can’t nap in the day for the same reason (the noise and my tutorials/work). I have asked politely if they would mind not being so noisy at night as it is the only time I have to sleep but they kept doing it.

There’s only a few weeks left of term but the sleep deprivation is really getting to me. It’s affecting my mental and physical health. My eyes are red constantly and my eyelids twitch, my hair is falling out, I’ve lost weight. I’m kind of hearing and seeing things, not severely but I see shadow figures or spiders out of the corner of my eye and I can hear whispering almost constantly. My grades are now dropping despite the work/effort I’m putting in and despite the fact that they got much better for a bit at the start of term.

This is just a rant, I’m not asking for advice. I can’t afford to live somewhere else because I can’t get out of this contract so would end up paying rent twice so I’ve got two more terms of this. I’ve posted about something similar before mentioning the extractor fan issue and the comments just said it was my own fault so I know that’s what the replies will say but I don’t give a ****
You can buy packs of foam ear plugs that might muffle the noise.
If you search online for macks or moldex you will see what I mean or you can set up a speaker and have it putting out loud white noise to drown out the other sounds.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1
What can I do about sleep deprivation that is affecting my mental and physical health? I get about 3 hours of sleep a night and have done since the start of term because my housemates follow an entirely different routine to me and are making noise generally until about 2 or 3 am. The extractor fan is extremely loud and is in the wall of my bedroom so it is impossible for me to sleep whenever someone is in the bathroom. The fan is the main issue but there are also other noises like banging cupboards/pots and pans when cooking late at night. I have to get up early because I have tutorials/lectures at 9am most days and I can’t nap in the day for the same reason (the noise and my tutorials/work). I have asked politely if they would mind not being so noisy at night as it is the only time I have to sleep but they kept doing it.

There’s only a few weeks left of term but the sleep deprivation is really getting to me. It’s affecting my mental and physical health. My eyes are red constantly and my eyelids twitch, my hair is falling out, I’ve lost weight. I’m kind of hearing and seeing things, not severely but I see shadow figures or spiders out of the corner of my eye and I can hear whispering almost constantly. My grades are now dropping despite the work/effort I’m putting in and despite the fact that they got much better for a bit at the start of term.

This is just a rant, I’m not asking for advice. I can’t afford to live somewhere else because I can’t get out of this contract so would end up paying rent twice so I’ve got two more terms of this. I’ve posted about something similar before mentioning the extractor fan issue and the comments just said it was my own fault so I know that’s what the replies will say but I don’t give a ****

Hi, I totally empathise with you, my housemates start at 7pm and finish at 7am, its terrible housing with a load of party goers.
If you can buy a pair of loop noise cancelling earbuds they don't cancel everything out but it works to muffle traffic,banging and loud music but make sure you get the concert ones not the chilling ones that don't work x
Reply 3
Exercise at least 20 to 30 minutes each day, at least 5 to 6 hours before going to bed. This will make you more likely to fall asleep later in the day.

Quick Reply

Latest