The Student Room Group

Should I add my small business to UCAS

I’m currently on my gap year and I am applying to university for next year, at the moment I have an Etsy shop that I run independently, is it worth putting this down under employment on UCAS or not?
Is it paid employment? If so then it must be listed.
Reply 2
Is the business related to the degree you will be applying for in anyway?
Original post by Makro

That’s beside the point. Paid employment must be listed.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
That’s beside the point. Paid employment must be listed.

Except it's not paid employment! No need to be so rude either.
Reply 5
Original post by Makro

not really i’m applying for psychology
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
Is it paid employment? If so then it must be listed.

i wasn’t aware of that but yes I get paid for my sales
Reply 7
Original post by maddieoz
not really i’m applying for psychology

I can definitely see a link there with the course Psychology so I definitely would use it as part of why you are interested in the course. Running a business requires loads of skills, Good communication skills /Interpersonal skills - dealing with a variety of customers, negotiating and thinking intelligently about how a strategic move on your part may shape customer behaviour...the impact of economic downturn on customer behaviour and your behaviour as a seller, there;s tons in there you can use pull into your personal statement as well as work experience section.
Original post by maddieoz
I’m currently on my gap year and I am applying to university for next year, at the moment I have an Etsy shop that I run independently, is it worth putting this down under employment on UCAS or not?

I would put it down and also touch upon it in your personal statement and stress time management, multi tasking and organisational skills - its what Unis look for as well as the reason why you want to study the course in the first place.
Original post by KungFuRabbit
I would put it down and also touch upon it in your personal statement and stress time management, multi tasking and organisational skills - its what Unis look for as well as the reason why you want to study the course in the first place.

For a psychology PS it's really not that helpful to use space talking about those sorts of skills - it's an academic degree they're interested in academic interests (and can judge for themselves time management, multi tasking and organisational skills by looking at the education and employment sections....there's no need to waste space in a PS pointing out obvious information provided elsewhere in an application)
I'd agree, we really wouldn't be looking for soft skills in this kind of PS.
Original post by PQ
For a psychology PS it's really not that helpful to use space talking about those sorts of skills - it's an academic degree they're interested in academic interests (and can judge for themselves time management, multi tasking and organisational skills by looking at the education and employment sections....there's no need to waste space in a PS pointing out obvious information provided elsewhere in an application)

In a personal statement - spending a line or two highlighting real evidence of these skills - that the vast majority of applicants will lack - is a good use of space. If you can't convince a university that an "academic" degree is for you in 45 lines then I doubt the extra 2 lines spent on your business would cost you a place.
Original post by KungFuRabbit
In a personal statement - spending a line or two highlighting real evidence of these skills - that the vast majority of applicants will lack - is a good use of space. If you can't convince a university that an "academic" degree is for you in 45 lines then I doubt the extra 2 lines spent on your business would cost you a place.

Every single candidate will have some degree of time management, multi tasking and organisational skills. It's a waste of space and hasn't been in the scoring criteria for any course I've selected on. I read a couple of hundred PS's a week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending