The Student Room Group

My Experience as a Student Ambassador

My Experience as a Student Ambassador at DMU

I have really loved my time as a student ambassador. Becoming an ambassador was one of the best decisions I have made! This job allows me to be completely flexible around my university work and is full of lovely people. I have made some good friends through being a student ambassador and have learnt so much throughout my experience. So, what is a student ambassador and how do you become one?

What Is a Student Ambassador?

A student ambassador is a university student who represents the university they attend. You complete jobs such as open days, school visits, campus tours and other university days! The shifts are completely flexible, and you can schedule as many or as little hours around your university timetable. If you have a busy couple of weeks with uni deadlines, you don’t need to pick up any shifts! It is completely flexible. You are employed under Unitemps and shifts are advertised with themselves. You will work for DMU staff such as those in the schools and colleges team or the marketing team.

My Experience

I have completed multiple open days, school and college visits and campus tours during my time as an ambassador. I even had the opportunity to attend a careers fair in Cardiff where I stayed over for the night. My travel, food and accommodation were paid for! I have met so many amazing people such as students, staff and other ambassadors and each shift is always full of such fun and friendly energy. I have also worked as a clearing assistant where I helped through the busy clearing period. Some of you might have spoken to me if you came through clearing! I have had so many wonderful learning opportunities and so many happy memories through this role. It is one of the highlights of my university experience! The application process was really easy! I just filled out a form and I had to record a one-minute video of why I wanted to be an ambassador and why I love DMU! The interview process was really fun and engaging too! We did a group activity where we had to create a DMU mascot and present it to the rest of the group. We also had a short interview with the staff where they asked us some questions. It was more like a conversation, and it was so relaxed!

Why Be a Student Ambassador?

You can learn so many transferable work skills in this role. It has definitely increased my confidence and communication skills. I have talked to hundreds of people through this job including a variety of ages and it has massively opened my communication skills. I have also delivered talks and presentations which has boosted my confidence and my talking manner. There are so many transferable skills you can learn and apply to jobs after university. It also looks great on your CV! It is an amazing first job as it teaches you about time management and scheduling and how to earn and manage money.

How Do I Become an Ambassador?

To become an ambassador, you will need to apply when slots open. This is usually September/October time. These are advertised on the Unitemps website. There will be instructions on there with how to apply. When I applied it was a simple form and a video and then I was invited to a group interview from this. The group interview is relaxed and friendly and not at all scary like I was expecting! Applications are closed for this intake but if you are interested definitely apply for the 2024 cohort!

If you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Hannah :smile:
DMU Student Ambassador
Msc Psychological Wellbeing Student
Reply 1
Original post by De Montfort University
My Experience as a Student Ambassador at DMU
I have really loved my time as a student ambassador. Becoming an ambassador was one of the best decisions I have made! This job allows me to be completely flexible around my university work and is full of lovely people. I have made some good friends through being a student ambassador and have learnt so much throughout my experience. So, what is a student ambassador and how do you become one?
What Is a Student Ambassador?
A student ambassador is a university student who represents the university they attend. You complete jobs such as open days, school visits, campus tours and other university days! The shifts are completely flexible, and you can schedule as many or as little hours around your university timetable. If you have a busy couple of weeks with uni deadlines, you don’t need to pick up any shifts! It is completely flexible. You are employed under Unitemps and shifts are advertised with themselves. You will work for DMU staff such as those in the schools and colleges team or the marketing team.
My Experience
I have completed multiple open days, school and college visits and campus tours during my time as an ambassador. I even had the opportunity to attend a careers fair in Cardiff where I stayed over for the night. My travel, food and accommodation were paid for! I have met so many amazing people such as students, staff and other ambassadors and each shift is always full of such fun and friendly energy. I have also worked as a clearing assistant where I helped through the busy clearing period. Some of you might have spoken to me if you came through clearing! I have had so many wonderful learning opportunities and so many happy memories through this role. It is one of the highlights of my university experience! The application process was really easy! I just filled out a form and I had to record a one-minute video of why I wanted to be an ambassador and why I love DMU! The interview process was really fun and engaging too! We did a group activity where we had to create a DMU mascot and present it to the rest of the group. We also had a short interview with the staff where they asked us some questions. It was more like a conversation, and it was so relaxed!
Why Be a Student Ambassador?
You can learn so many transferable work skills in this role. It has definitely increased my confidence and communication skills. I have talked to hundreds of people through this job including a variety of ages and it has massively opened my communication skills. I have also delivered talks and presentations which has boosted my confidence and my talking manner. There are so many transferable skills you can learn and apply to jobs after university. It also looks great on your CV! It is an amazing first job as it teaches you about time management and scheduling and how to earn and manage money.
How Do I Become an Ambassador?
To become an ambassador, you will need to apply when slots open. This is usually September/October time. These are advertised on the Unitemps website. There will be instructions on there with how to apply. When I applied it was a simple form and a video and then I was invited to a group interview from this. The group interview is relaxed and friendly and not at all scary like I was expecting! Applications are closed for this intake but if you are interested definitely apply for the 2024 cohort!
If you have any questions please feel free to ask!
Hannah :smile:
DMU Student Ambassador
Msc Psychological Wellbeing Student
Hello please could you share the link to the page where the on opening will be uploaded
Original post by Texdy
Hello please could you share the link to the page where the on opening will be uploaded

Hello!👋🏻

I am glad you’re interested! Are you able to clarify which link you mean? Are you referring to the link for DMU Student Ambassador Openings?

Hope this helps!
Hannah 🐄
DMU Ambassador 🧠
MSc Psychological Well-being

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending