The Student Room Group

Part time work

I am currently a student looking for part time work.
What would be the best job to do whilst studying and are there any online jobs I can do to make extra money?
Hi @sarah.fisher19

Usually there are various jobs that can be done on campus which you can fit around your studies. For example, working within the student union or as a student ambassador. Other jobs that are popular amongst students involve tutoring, which can be done through various websites.

There are also part time jobs which are advertised on Indeed and other job boards. This includes part time jobs in hospitality and retail. However, these tend to be harder to get due to the volume of people applying. They also tend to be less flexible with hours. There also casual work available such as working at events such as festivals which are more flexible with hours. Usually these require the person to be a driver so if you have a car this can be worth looking into.

My recommendation would be to look on the university website or on their career portal (if they have one) to see if they have any guidance. Usually they advertise jobs and internships in the local area. If you can't find information, it might be worth reaching out to the university as they would usually have advice on this.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
University of Southampton
Original post by sarah.fisher19
What would be the best job to do whilst studying and are there any online jobs I can do to make extra money?
Hiya!

It’s great to hear that you are looking for a job - I think it is great to get a part time job as a student, as you get to gain some experience, add more to your CV and earn some extra money on the side. All of this is ideal as long as you can also find a job that is accommodating to the student lifestyle i.e not too many hours and / or late nights.

Firstly, I would recommend getting in contact with your Careers team at the university and looking at the university website for student jobs. By speaking to the career's team they can inform you on any jobs within the university and possibly what's available in the area. For example, at De Montfort University we have Student Ambassador jobs (which is one of my part time jobs) and this role is incredibly flexible, optional and enjoyable as I have had some incredible opportunities presented to me through this role.

I would also recommend looking at some websites such as Indeed, LinkedIn, Unitemps and even Facebook.

If you have moved to a new city/ town for university I would suggest walking around with copies of CV to see if you can leave it anywhere because even if there is no part time work currently available there may be some soon or even temporary seasonal work. This may seem quite intimidating but the worse they can say is no, and I am sure they can relate to a time when they were looking for work.

From my friends experiences as students some of them don't work, some work in retail / food establishments, some work in their field of degree gaining experience and some just work seasonally. Why not also, ask around at university to your friends and peers perhaps they know of some work available.

I hope this helps, and I am sure something will be available
-Maddie, second year Health and well-being in society student at De Montfort University
Hey @sarah.fisher19,

Firstly I would recommend looking at the opportunities your university has if you live on campus as there are usually lots of different roles available for example a student ambassador this usually entails giving tours on open days or working in your department and giving tours and talking about the student experience. At my university there is also the option to show your accommodation if you do live on campus or other roles include working at the library, the shop located on campus or the Student Union Bar.

Secondly, I would recommend getting in contact with your careers team they may be able to look over your CV and provide any improvements which may increase your chance at getting a job. They also could help with finding a job that is close to you and wouldn't be too many hours due to needing time to study. This may mean that they show you how to use the careers portal if there is one as these are a great way of looking at the different job roles around the area.

Also maybe look around the local town if they have any signs in the windows on jobs on offer or see if you can follow any of the businesses on social media as I find job roles can be advertised through this as well.

Hope that helps!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student
Hi @sarah.fisher19,

Sometimes as a university ambassador, I receive the opportunity to do remote work. Student ambassador jobs in general are easy to fit around your schedule.

Similar, to the other posts, I believe that the carers team at your university can advise you further and the university carers portal will have appropriate opportunities.

Depending on your degree there might be the option to do tutoring remotely. My brother did that as a Mathematics student. I was tutored by an English BSc student while I was doing my GCSEs.

Hristiana (Kingston rep)
1-year mental health nursing student BSc
I couldn't find anything within the Uni I had to get out of campus independently found something which is amazing for part time work getting some P.A experience pays very good which is cash in hand. I was so desperate. £500 for a days work not bad I can hock you up if you like drop me a message.
Hey there,

I do advise you to research if your university recruits student ambassadors. This is a very valuable experience. You will learn a lot of soft skills, and get invaluable experience of team work. Also, it allows you to make some income while being very flexible - and therefore prevents you from having work / studying schedule conflicts.

Please, let me know if you have any questions,
Ilya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending