The Student Room Group
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds

Leeds Beckett Physiotherapy bsc without 2 science A Levels

This is for my sister. She attended the open day today for Leeds Beckett doing bsc Physiotherapy but was told she wouldn't be able to get onto the course without 2 science or numerate A Levels. Her A Levels are PE, business studies, and criminology. PE counts but unfortunately the other 2 don't. There are other unis that would allow just PE but she really loves Leeds as a city, how the course was set out and it's placement opportunities. How strict do you imagine the university is on this requirement? What would you imagine to be the best route onto getting onto this course ?! Thanks for any help !!
Original post by mollyphilbin
This is for my sister. She attended the open day today for Leeds Beckett doing bsc Physiotherapy but was told she wouldn't be able to get onto the course without 2 science or numerate A Levels. Her A Levels are PE, business studies, and criminology. PE counts but unfortunately the other 2 don't. There are other unis that would allow just PE but she really loves Leeds as a city, how the course was set out and it's placement opportunities. How strict do you imagine the university is on this requirement? What would you imagine to be the best route onto getting onto this course ?! Thanks for any help !!

The actual wording on their web site (here) is:

"UCAS Tariff Points: 136 points required.

(Minimum from 3 A levels, or equivalent, excluding General Studies. This should include two in science or numerate subjects. Subjects include Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Physical Education, Psychology, Applied Science and Maths. If you are studying Biology, Chemistry or Physics to meet this requirement you must also achieve a 'Pass' in the practical assessment, where that practical assessment is separated (from 2017).)."

I've emphasised the word "should" in the above. It does not say "must", which suggests some possible flexibility. I've also emphasised the word "include" as it means that list of subjects is not exhaustive.

Her best bet, I think, would be to contact the admissions team and highlight some of the numeric and/or scientific aspects of both Business and Criminology, and ask whether they would consider her application if she were to apply. Did she do particularly well at GCSE Maths and/or Science? If so, mention that too.

When she does this, it would help if she describes her subjects as accurately as possible, with the full name of the course and the exam board. (As two courses with similar names will not necessarily have the same content.)

I mention this because you have referred to one of her A levels as Criminology. It is not. No exam board offers a Criminology A level. What she is also certainly studying is a WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology. That's equivalent to an A level (in the same was that a BTEC Nationals Level 3 Extended Certificate is) but it is not actually an A level. That's fine, because Leeds Becket say "or equivalent", but it would help her case if she's able to be accurate about what qualifications she's currently studying.

She's just looking for them to say, "Yes, we would consider such an application" rather than "Unfortunately, such an application would not meet our minimum entry requirements".

You should prepare he for disappointed. The reason they ask for science and/or numerate A levels is because of the science and numerate content within the degree. If they don't think she'd be able to handle that content, it would really not be sensible to offer her a place.

Good luck. :crossedf:
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
The actual wording on their web site (here) is:

"UCAS Tariff Points: 136 points required.

(Minimum from 3 A levels, or equivalent, excluding General Studies. This should include two in science or numerate subjects. Subjects include Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Physical Education, Psychology, Applied Science and Maths. If you are studying Biology, Chemistry or Physics to meet this requirement you must also achieve a 'Pass' in the practical assessment, where that practical assessment is separated (from 2017).)."

I've emphasised the word "should" in the above. It does not say "must", which suggests some possible flexibility. I've also emphasised the word "include" as it means that list of subjects is not exhaustive.

Her best bet, I think, would be to contact the admissions team and highlight some of the numeric and/or scientific aspects of both Business and Criminology, and ask whether they would consider her application if she were to apply. Did she do particularly well at GCSE Maths and/or Science? If so, mention that too.

When she does this, it would help if she describes her subjects as accurately as possible, with the full name of the course and the exam board. (As two courses with similar names will not necessarily have the same content.)

I mention this because you have referred to one of her A levels as Criminology. It is not. No exam board offers a Criminology A level. What she is also certainly studying is a WJEC Level 3 Applied Diploma in Criminology. That's equivalent to an A level (in the same was that a BTEC Nationals Level 3 Extended Certificate is) but it is not actually an A level. That's fine, because Leeds Becket say "or equivalent", but it would help her case if she's able to be accurate about what qualifications she's currently studying.

She's just looking for them to say, "Yes, we would consider such an application" rather than "Unfortunately, such an application would not meet our minimum entry requirements".

You should prepare he for disappointed. The reason they ask for science and/or numerate A levels is because of the science and numerate content within the degree. If they don't think she'd be able to handle that content, it would really not be sensible to offer her a place.

Good luck. :crossedf:

Thanks so much for your fast and detailed response!!! She's going to get in touch with the admissions team. 🤞

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending