The Student Room Group

Journey to a*s - bi's gyg blog

Hello everyone! I started one of these a while back but it’s dead so I figured I’ll just make another one. I struggle with bursts of motivation every once in a while so I think this will hopefully keep me consistent!

I take CAIE IGCSE:

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Additional Maths
Coordinated Science (double award)
History
Global Perspectives
Art & Design
French Foreign Language

My school only offers coordinated science as standard, and there’s literally one other person who might be interested in taking single sciences so I really have to beg every one of my teachers to let me take triple and that depends on my mocks next week. I think I’m failing art (defo failing art this year whoops) so that’s NOT ideal (and I was told I can’t drop it!), but I’m hoping to get A*s in everything else. Getting an A* in additional maths might be a push but I’d like to get at least an A.

I have a ton of maths, science and art to do today (and every day) so I’ll be doing maths and science and promptly ignoring art haha.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by bicompton
Hello everyone! I started one of these a while back but it’s dead so I figured I’ll just make another one. I struggle with bursts of motivation every once in a while so I think this will hopefully keep me consistent!

I take CAIE IGCSE:

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Additional Maths
History
Global Perspectives
Art & Design
French Foreign Language

My school only offers coordinated science as standard, and there’s literally one other person who might be interested in taking single sciences so I really have to beg every one of my teachers to let me take triple and that depends on my mocks next week. I think I’m failing art (defo failing art this year whoops) so that’s NOT ideal (and I was told I can’t drop it!), but I’m hoping to get A*s in everything else. Getting an A* in additional maths might be a push but I’d like to get at least an A.

I have a ton of maths, science and art to do today (and every day) so I’ll be doing maths and science and promptly ignoring art haha.

okay so!!!

22/11/2023 to do list:

* finish science paper 4
* print & do topicals for add maths (logs)
* think of art final project & sketch a plan (cry)
* make spotify playlists bc i’ve literally been doing that instead of studying oops
Reply 2
oops so I did science and then a bunch of log questions (they’re so fun) and then didn’t do art so now i’ve got to do it at lunch! (this is genuinely not me wishing i’d never taken art) (did my parents email the school telling them “they fully support my decision to drop art”? no absolutely not) (taking add maths is dependent on me not dropping anything this year so my maths teacher is stressed oops) (he said it doesn’t really matter though? my art score? but i’d like to not follow his footsteps and get a c in art) (stereotypical oxbridge applicant here xoxo) anyways it is alll good and i’ll update again when i get home from schl!
Reply 3
oops this is what happens when I do stuff without drinking coffee first...

anyways! it's like 7 to 10pm my time but let's be productive and do some things. I've got:

write newspaper article for school newspaper

find pictures for newspaper article

finish additional maths paper

revise trigonometry

revise vectors

bonus - start on history flash cards

Welcome to Grow Your Grades! It definitely helps some people to stay on track so I hope it works for you :smile: Global Perspectives sound like such an interesting subject, what sort of topics do you cover?
Reply 5
Original post by Pwca
Welcome to Grow Your Grades! It definitely helps some people to stay on track so I hope it works for you :smile: Global Perspectives sound like such an interesting subject, what sort of topics do you cover?

Hi! Thank you - I really hope GYG works for me

Global perspectives is a skill-based subject. Basically you learn about how to analyse issues around the world and look at them from a global/national/personal perspective! In a way it's a mix of politics/economics/environmental issues. It's quite popular in international schools I think. The IGCSE is composed of a 2000 words essay; a team project; a reflection of your experience doing the team project; and a written paper. The written paper asks you to examine sources they provide, talk about the bias of the sources, compare arguments, test a claim and to suggest and justify a course of action for an issue (the entire paper would be about one specific topic). You don't really need any prior knowledge, but you do need to know how to test the claim etc.

Personally for my team project and coursework essay I like to focus on economics/politics/changing communities but a friend of mine does a lot on environmental issues, and some others focus on religion, or human rights. Basically as long as you can link it to one of the broad topics they provide you can pick whatever issue. I wrote my report last year on the changing role of celebrities in the world (basically an excuse to fangirl over my favourite celebrities) and got a really good mark.
Reply 6
25/11/2023

I kind of have messed around the entire morning but it's 13:35 and I should be getting down to business bc mocks are next week. My parents aren't home tonight so guess who will be eating dinner and studying at the same time hahah

Today I'll:

do a science past paper

do a gp past paper

do an english past paper

plan my english lit essay (ted hughes whoo)

take pictures for my art project and do some oil pastel sketches (really don't want to do this ugh)

hiyaaaaaa well done for starting a gyg forum! here are some people who would love your gyg (they also do amazing gyg forums themselves so check them out :biggrin:) : @flowersinmyhair @erin11 @rowan_willow @kayleigh_t.27 @thrivingfrog @toothysmile @Jieay20 @oliviapope1 @pineapple1865 - excited to come along on the journey and am watching your thread now ❤️
welcome @bicompton ! good luck with your revision, excited to see your progress! if you ever need any help with French, feel free to reach out - I'm currently in year 13 doing A level French 🙂
Reply 9
Original post by emm4nuella
hiyaaaaaa well done for starting a gyg forum! here are some people who would love your gyg (they also do amazing gyg forums themselves so check them out :biggrin:) : @flowersinmyhair @erin11 @rowan_willow @kayleigh_t.27 @thrivingfrog @toothysmile @Jieay20 @oliviapope1 @pineapple1865 - excited to come along on the journey and am watching your thread now ❤️

hiya!! thank you so much!!!
Reply 10
Original post by erin11
welcome @bicompton ! good luck with your revision, excited to see your progress! if you ever need any help with French, feel free to reach out - I'm currently in year 13 doing A level French 🙂

hi!!! thank you so much for offering! do you have any advice for the speaking exam? i do french foreign language and i’m really nervous about that test!
hi!!! thank you so much for offering! do you have any advice for the speaking exam? i do french foreign language and i’m really nervous about that test!

I highly recommend revising the content little and often rather than waiting till right before your test, this is what I did during GCSEs and this definitely helped reduce my nerves! Also Quizlet is a really useful resource that I still use. good luck, I have full faith that you will smash it 🙂
Reply 12
Original post by erin11
I highly recommend revising the content little and often rather than waiting till right before your test, this is what I did during GCSEs and this definitely helped reduce my nerves! Also Quizlet is a really useful resource that I still use. good luck, I have full faith that you will smash it 🙂

Thank you!! That's great advice!
Reply 13
27/11/2023 update:

To do:

study for maths paper 2

go over physics formulas

do chemistry quizlet

do a biology quizlet

do practice science multiple choice questions

take more add maths notes

Did slightly nothing this weekend AND missed my saturday class because I woke up sick. Not great. BUT I did get myself a quizlet plus account so I feel like that's something. I've "covered" 20% of the chemistry quizlet deck (I know more than that, but I've just started on the deck) so I think I've done a decent job in less than 24 hours!

Exam week is when I either go 30% or 100% and I really need to put in work, but I'm so horribly unmotivated this week. It's genuinely awful! I've got two first drafts to my coursework due in the first week of december too so I really don't know why I'm putting everything off so much today. Oh well I guess.

We had GP and English paper 1 today - GP was fine. I think I waffled a little but it was such an interesting topic (and coincidentally my essay is based on the topic we had). English was also fine, I think? I finished with far too much time to spare even after I did all the checks and stuff so wrote a little poem in the back about a hippo named mango (the paper was about hippos). I'll put it below because it genuinely made me giggle in the middle of my test.

tale of a hippo called mango

there once was a hippo,
whose name rhymed with ringo,
he also played bingo.
his mum said it was silly
so mango made friends with billy.

billy liked to huff and puff
cried mango to his mummy
mummy laughed and made puffed
pastry. billy does not like mummy

I don't know what I was thinking tbh I was just awfully bored. Anyways I hope at least someone thought that was interesting because my french teacher did and I think that's worth something (she was invigilating)

I take CAIE IGCSE:

English Literature
English Language
Maths
Additional Maths
History
Global Perspectives
Art & Design
French Foreign Language

Hiya, welcome to the gyg community 🙂 I currently take alevels in history and english literature so if you need any tips or help with anything I'm always here if you want to give me a shout!

I also have a gyg forum if you're interested in checking it out: Motivating myself - my GYG blog :smile: - Page 3 - The Student Room

Good luck with your studies!! Can't wait to see what you get up to :smile:
Hi! Thank you - I really hope GYG works for me

Global perspectives is a skill-based subject. Basically you learn about how to analyse issues around the world and look at them from a global/national/personal perspective! In a way it's a mix of politics/economics/environmental issues. It's quite popular in international schools I think. The IGCSE is composed of a 2000 words essay; a team project; a reflection of your experience doing the team project; and a written paper. The written paper asks you to examine sources they provide, talk about the bias of the sources, compare arguments, test a claim and to suggest and justify a course of action for an issue (the entire paper would be about one specific topic). You don't really need any prior knowledge, but you do need to know how to test the claim etc.

Personally for my team project and coursework essay I like to focus on economics/politics/changing communities but a friend of mine does a lot on environmental issues, and some others focus on religion, or human rights. Basically as long as you can link it to one of the broad topics they provide you can pick whatever issue. I wrote my report last year on the changing role of celebrities in the world (basically an excuse to fangirl over my favourite celebrities) and got a really good mark.

That sounds so interesting! And a really good way to build the skills people need most once they're at university. Your coursework topic sounds super interesting as well.
Reply 16
Original post by kayleigh_t.27
Hiya, welcome to the gyg community 🙂 I currently take alevels in history and english literature so if you need any tips or help with anything I'm always here if you want to give me a shout!

I also have a gyg forum if you're interested in checking it out: Motivating myself - my GYG blog :smile: - Page 3 - The Student Room

Good luck with your studies!! Can't wait to see what you get up to :smile:

Hiya! I read your gyg blog a few days ago and didn't comment. I hope you're feeling better, and good luck with all your work. Thank you so much for offering to help! I can't wait to see what you get up to, too :smile:
Reply 17
oml I just came out of my MCQ paper and I think I flopped it. Will cry. I guess I have to make up for it tomorrow with the long response one. my teacher is literally sat across the room marking it and looking sad/annoyed so it is NOT looking good for me !!! (right when i thought i was becoming an academic weapon in science lmao)
oml I just came out of my MCQ paper and I think I flopped it. Will cry. I guess I have to make up for it tomorrow with the long response one. my teacher is literally sat across the room marking it and looking sad/annoyed so it is NOT looking good for me !!! (right when i thought i was becoming an academic weapon in science lmao)

do you go to boarding school?
Reply 19
Original post by emm4nuella
do you go to boarding school?

No, we just had a study period with him right after and he likes to mark quickly. I'm in GMT+7 so if it looks like I'm posting really early that's why 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending