The Student Room Group

American '2024 student with some questions~

Hello, this is my first post here, I had some questions and my school guidance officers weren't much use...

I'm currently a junior (Gr11/Yr12/graduate in 2024) at a pretty normal comprehensive American school. I want to study Human Sciences at either Oxford or Cambridge (likely Oxf), though I'm looking at a few other unis in the UK and US as well.

My grades are okay, not amazing, but certainly not bad. I scored a 5 on the AP World exam last year and am currently doing AP Bio, AP US History, AP Psychology, and AP English Lit. I'm doing alright in these classes, mainly that I'm a procrastinator but I'm working on it. Next year I plan to take AP EnviroSci, AP Spanish Lit, AP English Lang, AP Physics, and AP Calculus AB. Aside from the maths bit on the ACT, I would have had a 35. I am also doing past papers from the Thinking Skills Assessment.

I have questions about:
- financial aid: I know I might be able to get a small loan from the US government, but other than that, what options do I have?
- the personal statement: little stumped on this
- school grades: aside from AP and ACT scores, will the uni look at my actual grades?
- classes for my final year: should I take AP Stats or AP Calculus AB or BC? Is AP Physics necessary?
- the application process: would I be likely to get an interview? Is the culture shock big?

If anyone could offer their thoughts or advice, I would really appreciate it. Have a good day!
- Hopeful American
Financial aid is pretty rare for overseas students and usually minor - commonly you might get something like £1000-£2000, awarded as a fee reduction. There might be sources of funding for you, this isn't really my area of expertise - prospects.ac.uk lists some, and each university usually will too - though to be honest I think you'd need to be prepared to foot the bill mostly via loans.

Don't worry too much about the personal statement. It's basically a chance to write about why you're interested in the course, why you think you would be suitable, give any examples or experiences that you think might be relevant, and give any other information that you want the admissions teams to know that isn't otherwise covered by the form. Look up examples online if you're concerned, but overall this is not the most important part of your application.

The universities will require certain AP and ACT scores as entry requirements - make sure you have these, or are in line to achieve these. Most universities won't look at your actual marks subject-by-subject; I'd be a little surprised if even Oxbridge do this.

Which class to pick? Check entry requirements for this course at a good number of places you might be interested in - unless they specifically require a certain class or combination or classes, you are generally free to pick what you want. AP Physics may or may not be necessary - again, check websites, and if it's not clear what their AP/ACT requirements are from the website, contact their admissions teams. There's no point applying if you're not eligible!

It's hard to say if you are likely to get an interview based on the information you've given. Oxford and Cambridge are exceptionally competitive; other institutions maybe a little less so. You'd be applying via UCAS - they have quite a useful guide for applying. Bear in mind that if either Oxford or Cambridge is amongst your choices, the deadline to apply is months earlier. You can submit applications to up to five universities via UCAS - you might as well use the whole lot. As a rule of thumb, the 'Russel Group' are all very good universities, though there are some great ones not on that list too.

Is the culture shock big? I wouldn't say so really - culturally we're not wildly different from the US to be honest. Someone might giggle if you say 'sidewalk', and be prepared to largely swap out Mexican food for Indian food, but I mean... Mostly we just tend to find Americans cool.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by rosentsprungen
Hello, this is my first post here, I had some questions and my school guidance officers weren't much use...

I'm currently a junior (Gr11/Yr12/graduate in 2024) at a pretty normal comprehensive American school. I want to study Human Sciences at either Oxford or Cambridge (likely Oxf), though I'm looking at a few other unis in the UK and US as well.

My grades are okay, not amazing, but certainly not bad. I scored a 5 on the AP World exam last year and am currently doing AP Bio, AP US History, AP Psychology, and AP English Lit. I'm doing alright in these classes, mainly that I'm a procrastinator but I'm working on it. Next year I plan to take AP EnviroSci, AP Spanish Lit, AP English Lang, AP Physics, and AP Calculus AB. Aside from the maths bit on the ACT, I would have had a 35. I am also doing past papers from the Thinking Skills Assessment.

I have questions about:
- financial aid: I know I might be able to get a small loan from the US government, but other than that, what options do I have?
- the personal statement: little stumped on this
- school grades: aside from AP and ACT scores, will the uni look at my actual grades?
- classes for my final year: should I take AP Stats or AP Calculus AB or BC? Is AP Physics necessary?
- the application process: would I be likely to get an interview? Is the culture shock big?

If anyone could offer their thoughts or advice, I would really appreciate it. Have a good day!
- Hopeful American

Hi! American here as well and I've just applied for (UCL, King's College, Queen Mary's, Uni of Edinburgh, and LSE) for History this year.

- I definitely think grades are helpful for competitive colleges such as Oxford and Cambridge, but doing well on your Ap's will certainly make a difference.

- For your senior year, I suggest taking Ap Calculus AB instead of BC (unless you're incredibly awesome at managing time and stress) Doing good in Ap classes relevant to Human Sciences is very important, and getting a 5 in classes that are relevant to the course you want to apply to will make a difference with UK colleges. AP Calc BC is a very hard class, so maybe AB is better in my opinion. But AP Stat is also a super fun class! I'm taking it this year and I highly recommend it.

- There are no classes "necessary" if not required by the University for the course you're applying to. But taking classes relevant to the course will certainly be helpful. If you look on Oxford/ Cambridge's website, they will show requirements of classes you need to take before applying to a course. Again, Ap Physics is a very hard class much like AP calculus BC, so if you feel confident in managing your workload on top of other Ap Classes, I don't see why you shouldn't take it! But personally I suggest taking classes you're very interested in.

- For Oxford and Cambridge applicants, interviews are very common, so if you do get one don't panic! You can check out the UCAS website for advice on how to prepare for your interview and watch tons of Youtube videos to see how other people's experiences were. From my friend's experience (he got an interview with Cambridge this year), he said they asked questions about your personal statement so really knowing extensive knowledge on what you wrote about will be very helpful.

- For reference to my personal statement, I applied for History and I wrote about books I read, how a history class at school sparked my interest and helped me gain skills in the field, an Internship I did regarding the subject, and 2 extracurriculars (singing for a renaissance choir and working with the county's student elections committee) that helped demonstrate my leadership and interest in History. The big thing is to tie the things you do back to the course you want to study and show how and why you would be a good candidate for this course!

I have heard from Queen Mary's and Uni of Edinburgh (unconditional offers for both) so far and here are my stats in terms of APs and SAT.
9th grade: AP US government : 5
10th Grade: AP Psychology: 5
Ap US history: 5
11th grade: AP Language: 5
AP Chinese: 5
Ap World history: 5
12th Grade: Taking exams for AP literature, AP European History, and AP Human Geography.

Good luck with your Applications!
- Fellow Hopeful American xx
Reply 3
Hi all,

I am in a conundrum and need some friendly advice. Many will not understand this unless you have a knowledge of the UK and US systems.

I am currently in my Junior year at High school in Texas (Penultimate High School year) and will be coming home to the UK for University next year. My brother did medicine at Exeter and is starting his F1 year in Torbay and I would like to be close to him so I was thinking about Exeter too.

I wanted to do Computer Engineering or Computer Science but I will not have an AP in Maths. I have 5's (Highest grades) in 3 other subjects. They will be English, US History and European History.
Next year, my final year, I could take AP Economics or AP Psychology, right now I am signed up for AP European History.

I am currently finishing Physics STEM which is a College level Physics course but I am struggling a bit.

This year, I finished Algebra2 adv. I will probably take Pre-Cal BC in my senior year which is going to suck. I still won't have the full AP Calculus BC and it will be very hard. I'm not sure if I should do that or take a different Maths class like OnRamps Algebra.

I can't decide whether to apply for a degree that doesn't specifically require Math A-level like Political Science or Business Management or spend more time here and finish that one Math course (Calculus BC) which I am not guaranteed to score well on. I have Aspergers and find it really hard to learn certain things. Some things come easily.

Or, head back to the UK and go to a sixth form College or something like that to get the Maths.

I don't yet a great leaning towards any particular degree

Thanks for any advice and good luck to all!
Reply 4
Original post by DariusR
Hi all,

I am in a conundrum and need some friendly advice. Many will not understand this unless you have a knowledge of the UK and US systems.

I am currently in my Junior year at High school in Texas (Penultimate High School year) and will be coming home to the UK for University next year. My brother did medicine at Exeter and is starting his F1 year in Torbay and I would like to be close to him so I was thinking about Exeter too.

I wanted to do Computer Engineering or Computer Science but I will not have an AP in Maths. I have 5's (Highest grades) in 3 other subjects. They will be English, US History and European History.
Next year, my final year, I could take AP Economics or AP Psychology, right now I am signed up for AP European History.

I am currently finishing Physics STEM which is a College level Physics course but I am struggling a bit.

This year, I finished Algebra2 adv. I will probably take Pre-Cal BC in my senior year which is going to suck. I still won't have the full AP Calculus BC and it will be very hard. I'm not sure if I should do that or take a different Maths class like OnRamps Algebra.

I can't decide whether to apply for a degree that doesn't specifically require Math A-level like Political Science or Business Management or spend more time here and finish that one Math course (Calculus BC) which I am not guaranteed to score well on. I have Aspergers and find it really hard to learn certain things. Some things come easily.

Or, head back to the UK and go to a sixth form College or something like that to get the Maths.

I don't yet a great leaning towards any particular degree

Thanks for any advice and good luck to all!

My daughter is also a junior in a US boarding school and applying to the UK. If you are not hung up on Computer science/engineering then I advise you do something that does not require AP Math more so because you already have the 3 required 5’s. In fact you have given no real argument for not doing something else.
Go to ucas and enter the subjects you like then from there pick another major.
Best of luck to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending