The Student Room Group

Any tips to get more sleep?

I haven't been diagnosed with insomnia or anything, but for at least the last year or so I don't think I have had 8 hours sleep in one night, in fact I don't remember the last time I even got 6 or 7 hours. If I try to go to sleep at a reasonable time (say around 10pm) even if my room is pitch black and I'm not on my phone or anything it will still take like 4-5 hours to get to sleep by which time if I need to get up for anything I will have only had 4 hours max of sleep. I have just finished my A levels and most nights I only got around 3-4 hours sleep just because I was revising late and then it would take me hours to get to sleep

People I tell this to like to joke about it but it really does affect me because even after I have woken up it affects me the entire rest of the day and I don't have the energy to do anything that I used to like to do like any form of exercise

I don't have a specific reason for not being able to sleep when I try, it is worse in times of stress like A Levels which is why it has been better the last few days and I have managed to get around 5 hours sleep each night which is really good but I still feel really tired

I am posting this now because I start work again next week and I will need to be up relatively early every day, and at the moment even if I manage that I will just be really slow at work and honestly need to find something that will help me ASAP

I don't want to have to go through the NHS and get some drug like melatonin or diazepam that I will just end up relying on, so I was hoping that someone on here may have had some experience with struggling to get sleep and had any tips

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, a few things that worked for me was cutting caffeine out of my diet past 12 aka using decaf and things such as showering with lavender body wash,as lavender helps calm both the mind and body down
Hope this may help?
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, a few things that worked for me was cutting caffeine out of my diet past 12 aka using decaf and things such as showering with lavender body wash,as lavender helps calm both the mind and body down
Hope this may help?

thanks so much I'll definitely look into it. Appreciate the reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest