The Student Room Group

First in law without reading full cases?

I'm in my first year of my law degree and to be quite honest, I'm finding it long to get through all the reading on its own, let alone going off and reading full cases/judgments/law reports on Westlaw mentioned in the textbook. Do you really need to read them in full to get a first class mark?

By no means am I trying to slack off and if that's what it takes then I'll do it but I feel it's quite inefficient. What I tend to do is read the material facts in relation to the legal issue, see what was held, and then cherry pick key quotes from judges that forms their legal reasoning (+obiter comments). This is to some extent what I do with articles too.

However I hear a lot that for first class marks, you need very very in depth knowledge of the cases so you should read them in full? So is what I'm doing enough? Or do I need to step up a bit and read the full things?

Do your tutors highlight the most important cases in your reading list? For the important ones I read the headnote, the main judgement and one dissenting judgement if there is one, and the lawprof page. Then for the cases that aren't highlighted as important I just read the headnote and the lawprof page
Original post by RetroSPECT3.0
I'm in my first year of my law degree and to be quite honest, I'm finding it long to get through all the reading on its own, let alone going off and reading full cases/judgments/law reports on Westlaw mentioned in the textbook. Do you really need to read them in full to get a first class mark?

By no means am I trying to slack off and if that's what it takes then I'll do it but I feel it's quite inefficient. What I tend to do is read the material facts in relation to the legal issue, see what was held, and then cherry pick key quotes from judges that forms their legal reasoning (+obiter comments). This is to some extent what I do with articles too.

However I hear a lot that for first class marks, you need very very in depth knowledge of the cases so you should read them in full? So is what I'm doing enough? Or do I need to step up a bit and read the full things?

Hi there

I am final year law student and I agree that it is quite difficult/ nearly impossible to read every single case on seminar worksheets. Whilst reading all the cases will support your studies, it is not necessary to know every single case in detail to achieve a first class essay.

I would recommend continuing with what you are doing with cases for the important ones- however, for the ones that are less significant (often briefed over during lecturers) you may not need to read the full case. I also find that textbooks point out the main take away from cases nicely- and these could be interpreted into to your essays nicely.

Hope this help.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending