The Student Room Group

Can I request coursework extension 3rd year

Hi ,I am a 3rd year law student and I have a few law courseworks due soon .
I’ve been working really hard and trying to stay ontop of everything. It’s been quite difficult though and coming up to this time marks the anniversary of my grandads death and it’s been quite hard getting through these last few weeks . I have diagnosed ADHD which isn’t helping things I feel like I won’t be able to get all my work done on time. The final year is super important to me as it’s my final chance to get the grades for my future . My friend does criminology and she’s been able to request extensions for her courseworks, will this delay my graduation date , can i apply for an extension ?

Any help appreciated
Original post by Anonymous #1
I’ve been working really hard and trying to stay ontop of everything. It’s been quite difficult though and coming up to this time marks the anniversary of my grandads death and it’s been quite hard getting through these last few weeks . I have diagnosed ADHD which isn’t helping things I feel like I won’t be able to get all my work done on time. The final year is super important to me as it’s my final chance to get the grades for my future . My friend does criminology and she’s been able to request extensions for her courseworks, will this delay my graduation date , can i apply for an extension ?

Any help appreciated

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling with your work load. Third year is a tough one, and I completely understand what you are going through!

Most universities tend to have a cut off of when you can apply for extensions that might defer graduation, and this is normally in the spring, but like I said this may differ. I can't imagine applying for an extension now will affect a summer graduation, but I would speak to the tutor who set the assignment to discuss your concerns. You have valid reasons to be able to apply for an extension!

Additionally, even though it is a little later in the year, you might be able to apply for any support plans that your university might offer that makes your deadlines flexible. I definitely recommend booking an appointment with your university's well-being team to discuss your options as soon as possible.

I hope this helps and good luck! :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Reply 2
I am a 3rd year law student and I have a few law courseworks due soon - these are trimester one assessments and if you don't complete them at all, your next opportunity will almost certainly be over the Summer and bearing in mind that resit exam boards don;t usually meet till late August at the earliest, you will not be able to graduate over the summer.

I’ve been working really hard and trying to stay ontop of everything. It’s been quite difficult though and coming up to this time marks the anniversary of my grandads death and it’s been quite hard getting through these last few weeks . I have diagnosed ADHD which isn’t helping things I feel like I won’t be able to get all my work done on time - you may have grounds for PMCs / ECs which can be either for late submission or non-submission . This is how most universities manage "extensions" - if you go for the late submission option and this is accepted, you will usually get an additional week though this may vary from uni to uni. THis would give you some extra time but keep you on track to graduate in the summer.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Any help appreciated

:console:
I would check with your academic tutor :smile: This would likely class as a extenuating circumstance imo. Also, check your uni doesn't offer self-certification EC's as well (mine offer it since covid, and we get x2 free self certifications to use when needed). It's worth checking if your uni does something similar.

The worst they can say is no. Also, might be worth emailing your uni's disability office if you haven't already got adjustments in place for your ADHD :h:
Original post by Anonymous #1

Any help appreciated

Hi there

I am sorry to hear that you are struggling with your assignments, and I would echo the advice above.

For my University, we are able to ask for a few day extensions (around a week more time). If there is something similar at your University, I would recommend getting an extension. (However, there may be a certain number of times you can apply for extensions. It would again depend on your University).

I think the best way to know is to contact your divisional team for support, they will be in the best position to provide you with support, and let you know the impacts of getting an extension.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending