The Student Room Group

UCAS Letter of Reference -- employer?

I'm applying to a film degree, and I do a lot of professional photography. Would it be suitable to have someone I've taken photos for a lot before write my letter of reference or do universities prefer someone on the academic side of things?
Original post by almosttfamouss
I'm applying to a film degree, and I do a lot of professional photography. Would it be suitable to have someone I've taken photos for a lot before write my letter of reference or do universities prefer someone on the academic side of things?

Unless you have been out of education for 5+ years then you would usually be expected to provide an academic reference
Original post by PQ
Unless you have been out of education for 5+ years then you would usually be expected to provide an academic reference

Ok, thank you! I thought it would be suitable to have an employer due to film being a very hands-on career, so my employer would have good first-hand knowledge of my skills.
Reply 3
You are applying for an academic degree - you need an academic referee who can comment on your potential for degree level study. If you apply without this, the Uni will just ask you to arrange an academic reference so all you will do is waste time, and annoy the University.
Original post by almosttfamouss
Ok, thank you! I thought it would be suitable to have an employer due to film being a very hands-on career, so my employer would have good first-hand knowledge of my skills.

If the employer was a film production company who could comment on your skills and knowledge from an industry perspective then that might be helpful - but if it’s a member of the public you’ve freelanced for then they’re not going to be able to comment on your skills in any meaningful way.

An academic reference will almost always be preferred
In my experience unis will always want an academic ref unless you have been out of education for a few years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending