The Student Room Group

University of Chester

Hi everyone, so I have received a offer at Chester University for history and politics. I'm thrilled but trouble is i live about 2 hours away and I'm unable to move so ill be travelling in everyday via train. Can anyone advise me on how many days my course would be and a rough guess on what time id have to be a lectures and other things? I'm also concerned about money for travel don't know how much maintenance loan I will receive as I won't be living in student accommodation. I'd love to hear from some mature students who have been in a similar situation.
Hi @Ashmorr

Congratulations on your offer! 🙂

We've asked a current History and Politics student to share their experience with you below, hopefully this information helps give you some idea of what you can expect from the degree here at UoC, but we would advise that timetables can differ from year to year, so your experience may be slightly different to Caitlin's.

You may find the following blogs from commuting students helpful too!
Rebecca’s Story: Preparing for University as a Commuting Student
Rebecca’s Story: Why I Chose to Study and Commute to the University of Chester
Making Friends as a Commuting Student

Hello! My name is Caitlin and I am currently a first year History and Politics student just starting my second term at Chester and I am loving it so far. I currently live on campus but quite a few of my friends on the course do travel. Our timetable stays mostly the same from week to week unless we have planned trips or activities. On a weekly basis I will have Seminars on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, my longest day being Tuesday with five hours of lectures (we do get lots of breaks I promise!). Days like Thursday and Friday are shorter as I only have four hours on a Thursday and two on a Friday. My earliest class starts at 9am and my latest ends at 6pm. With regards to travel I do travel home often, which can take around 2 hours by train, but I got a student railcard which has significantly helped when buying tickets. I hope you this has helped and thank you for your question!
Caitlin
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Ashmorr
Hi everyone, so I have received a offer at Chester University for history and politics. I'm thrilled but trouble is i live about 2 hours away and I'm unable to move so ill be travelling in everyday via train. Can anyone advise me on how many days my course would be and a rough guess on what time id have to be a lectures and other things? I'm also concerned about money for travel don't know how much maintenance loan I will receive as I won't be living in student accommodation. I'd love to hear from some mature students who have been in a similar situation.

Hei! I received an offer for Chester too (Pharmacology) - congrats to you getting in!

I can't really offer my two-cents on this as I will be moving into halls (I live >100miles away) but a Railcard would be a really smart investment if you haven't looked into that already.

I will mention as well that a friend of mine attends uni and she looked into 0% Overdraft Student Bank Account with Santander. See the links below as they go into great detail about it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K65uE0zTGzE

https://www.santander.co.uk/landing/current-accounts/123-student-current-account?cid=agg-ca123student-savethestudent&sskey=256c84b211c646caa91a2b339850aada&dclid=CJ7mp_3kkIQDFZYkBgAdaFAK3A

She said this has saved her hind on multiple occassions for those really tough months money-wise. Bonus here is that the railcard is included as a freebie!

I wish you all the best!
- Bee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending