The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

What is freshers like for someone that is a commuter at Liverpool?

I'm starting Uni this September as a mature student (will be almost 24 by then) but most importantly a commuter. I don't live far from the city centre as I live on the Wirral and the train takes just half an hour to get there but the problem is that the last train back is at 23:40. I'm not exactly someone that goes clubbing but I would like to meet new people and still go for a few drinks. Would there be any sort of events that take place in more quiet bars that both start and end earlier? Also, how important is it to actually buy tickets to the events? Is it not possible to just find a bar somewhere and hope to meet people there that would also prefer a more straightforward venue? I know as a commuter I have to be more out there to make friends and it's already harder for me to make friends because I'm not a particularly outgoing person so I hope to make the most out of freshers but I do need to start heading back just after 11 so the general clubbing aspect will have to be a no go.
Original post by Seido99
I'm starting Uni this September as a mature student (will be almost 24 by then) but most importantly a commuter. I don't live far from the city centre as I live on the Wirral and the train takes just half an hour to get there but the problem is that the last train back is at 23:40. I'm not exactly someone that goes clubbing but I would like to meet new people and still go for a few drinks. Would there be any sort of events that take place in more quiet bars that both start and end earlier? Also, how important is it to actually buy tickets to the events? Is it not possible to just find a bar somewhere and hope to meet people there that would also prefer a more straightforward venue? I know as a commuter I have to be more out there to make friends and it's already harder for me to make friends because I'm not a particularly outgoing person so I hope to make the most out of freshers but I do need to start heading back just after 11 so the general clubbing aspect will have to be a no go.

Hi there,

There is definitely a variety of events, which do not necessarily involve the usual drinking/clubs, once they release the fresher's week plans at the Guild of Students you will be able to see what they have planned :smile:. I would say that if you do go down to any given bar in/around Concert Square you will find loads of people to meet. However, I would say that for many of the fresher's events there people will be going out later on, perhaps 10/11 so there might not always be lots of people to met before then. Also I wouldn't advise buying tickets for the events until you know people that are definitely going, as there are so many events (often with overpriced tickets) and you can have the same or similar experience in other bars/clubs nearby!

Another option for you is to get the taxi back to the Wirral on the evening when you want to.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending