The Student Room Group

University Swap?

Ok. I have recently sent off my application and got all my offers back. I put down Aston University as one and sacrificing Manchester Metropolitan University in the process, however, their open day has left my faith in the course significantly shaken, especially regarding the quality of the history department and that the history course was nearly cancelled a year ago. Despite the fact that I have other course offers, I still wish to see another possible university in its place. The reason for this is that I believe that 5 proper, solid course choices can allow me to make a proper, well informed decision on what university I should attend; I am not a risk taking individual, and that I still have doubts and reservations on the remaining choices, such as Dundee University's distance from home (in event on any emergency). Since all needs to be wrapped up before May 16, does anyone know if there is any possible way that substituting said rocky course with a more solid university insurance choice, such as the original consideration of MMU, can be done on UCAS or any other way?
(edited 1 year ago)
I mean it seems like you might have to just stick with what you have and see your where to go from there.
Unfortunately, UCAS only gives a 14-day period to substitute a choice for another, so if that window has closed you won't be able to swap choices just like that.
If you haven't used all 5 choices, you could add an extra choice (as long as you haven't accepted/declined offers and it's before 30th June).
If you have used all 5, heard back from all of them and you're not satisfied with any of them you could decline them all and use Extra, but it could be a bit of a confusing process.
Clearing is also an option I suppose.
If you already have 5 UCAS choices, you cannot now change these Unis.

You can -

Drop you whole UCAS application, take a gap year and reapply for Unis you actually want to go to next year - recommended.

Withdraw from all your current UCAS choices and apply to any Uni that has History still open in Extra.

Wait until Clearing and see what - if anything - is available as a last-minute option.

Original post by Shane Flanagan
Ok. I have recently sent off my application and got all my offers back. I put down Aston University as one and sacrificing Manchester Metropolitan University in the process, however, their open day has left my faith in the course significantly shaken, especially regarding the quality of the history department and that the history course was nearly cancelled a year ago. Despite the fact that I have other course offers, I still wish to see another possible university in its place. The reason for this is that I believe that 5 proper, solid course choices can allow me to make a proper, well informed decision on what university I should attend; I am not a risk taking individual, and that I still have doubts and reservations on the remaining choices, such as Dundee University's distance from home (in event on any emergency). Since all needs to be wrapped up before May 16, does anyone know if there is any possible way that substituting said rocky course with a more solid university insurance choice, such as the original consideration of MMU, can be done on UCAS or any other way?

Hi @Shane Flanagan

If you have applied within 14 days you can change one choice for another. However, if it has been longer than 14 days I am afraid there is no way to change the courses you have applied to on your application.

At this stage, you can only apply for our BA(Hons) History course if you go through UCAS extra. UCAS Extra is for applicants in the UCAS system who have used up their 5 choices and have not received offers or have declined all the offers they have received.

If you want to apply for a course for September 2023 entry, and you have used your 5 choices on your UCAS application, then the only way to be considered is to decline any offers you have received and go through UCAS Extra. Details of this are available at www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices.

We will be able to consider your application if there are still vacancies on the course at the point you become eligible for Extra, but we cannot guarantee that you will be offered a place. Please be aware that if you choose to decline any offers you may have received, and add a choice through UCAS Extra, you will not be able to accept any of your original choices later. Therefore, you must carefully consider what you want to do before making any actual changes to your UCAS application.

Alternatively, you may be able to apply for the course through clearing when clearing opens. However, we will not know until clearing opens which courses have availability. If BA(Hons) History is full you won't be able to apply. Once you have received your results we would recommend calling the university to see if we have any availability on the history course and the clearing team can advise further.

I hope this helps! Good luck with everything

Carly :0
Original post by Manchester Metropolitan University
Hi @Shane Flanagan

If you have applied within 14 days you can change one choice for another. However, if it has been longer than 14 days I am afraid there is no way to change the courses you have applied to on your application.

At this stage, you can only apply for our BA(Hons) History course if you go through UCAS extra. UCAS Extra is for applicants in the UCAS system who have used up their 5 choices and have not received offers or have declined all the offers they have received.

If you want to apply for a course for September 2023 entry, and you have used your 5 choices on your UCAS application, then the only way to be considered is to decline any offers you have received and go through UCAS Extra. Details of this are available at www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/extra-choices.

We will be able to consider your application if there are still vacancies on the course at the point you become eligible for Extra, but we cannot guarantee that you will be offered a place. Please be aware that if you choose to decline any offers you may have received, and add a choice through UCAS Extra, you will not be able to accept any of your original choices later. Therefore, you must carefully consider what you want to do before making any actual changes to your UCAS application.

Alternatively, you may be able to apply for the course through clearing when clearing opens. However, we will not know until clearing opens which courses have availability. If BA(Hons) History is full you won't be able to apply. Once you have received your results we would recommend calling the university to see if we have any availability on the history course and the clearing team can advise further.

I hope this helps! Good luck with everything

Carly :0

Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to check through extra :smile:
(Original post by Shane Flanagan)Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to check through extra :smile:

On the addition, is there a specific address that I need to contact MMU with regarding extra vacancies?
Original post by Shane Flanagan
(Original post by Shane Flanagan)Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to check through extra :smile:

On the addition, is there a specific address that I need to contact MMU with regarding extra vacancies?

If you want to check if courses have availability feel free to email or give us a call at [email protected]/ 0161 247 6969!

Carly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending